It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:23 am

Msgr. Fenton on Ecclesiastical Faith - ref. Guerard des Laur 
Site Admin

New post Msgr. Fenton on Ecclesiastical Faith - ref. Guerard des Laur
Hello all,

Article newly posted. http://www.strobertbellarmine.net/fento ... faith.html

This is an interesting and even important article for several reasons.

1. It demonstrates (once again) that the Church's infallibility covers things such as canonisations.
2. It indicates that the debate amongst theologians was NOT whether canonisations are infallible, but rather over whether we assent by divine and catholic faith to such truths, or merely by ecclesiastical faith. In both cases the censure for doubt or denial is "heresy".
3. It mentions (negatively) the work of Guerard des Lauriers, even whilst mentioning him as an advocate of the position favoured by the writer (Fenton).
4. It contains some particularly penetrating insights into the nature of the magisterium. Fenton is not usually very interesting, even if he was stolidly competent and reliable.

Wishing all a wonderfully blessed and joy-filled Easter Sunday!

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:43 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

New post 
Fenton mentions favourably the work of Fr. Cartechini. A reminder therefore that a summary of Cartechini's doctrine is presented here, courtesy of John Daly: http://www.strobertbellarmine.net/theolnotes.htm

An aspect of this subject which deserves particular attention and consideration is the suggestion that anybody who seeks to overturn the legitimate traditions of the Church is a heretic.

Cartechini writes that an offence against "ecclesiatical faith" is heresy and results in the culprit automatically losing his membership in the Church. Fenton points out that Pius IV's Profession of Faith includes as objects, "the apostolic and ecclesiastical traditions and the rest of the observances and constitutions of the same Church."

This doctrine is pregnant with implications for the present crisis. It isn't that we have not noticed this before, but I can't think of a document which has ever made the point so clearly as Monsignor Fenton's article has done.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:36 am
Profile E-mail

New post 
Pax Christi !

Quote:
This doctrine is pregnant with implications for the present crisis. It isn't that we have not noticed this before, but I can't think of a document which has ever made the point so clearly as Monsignor Fenton's article has done.

Indeed good stuff ! Thanks John !

Btw, I am still pondering your other thread ' Will and Intellect".. deep subject to be sure. However, when confronted with Canon Smith and a layman saying he is wrong, I amd compelled to side with Canon Smith, since said Canon has a PH'd in Theology and held a official position within the Church as a teacher. With that, I am trying to understand the depth of Canon Smiths writing.

No offense intended James.

In Xto,
Vincent

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:45 pm