It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Archbishop Lefebvre on pope-heretic question 
Site Admin

New post Archbishop Lefebvre on pope-heretic question
This from IA. I think this might be the conference the Archbishop gave at Econe, but I am not sure. Does anybody else have better information?

Archbishop Lefebvre, Conference April 15th, 1986

Then I would like, since there are different echoes, different reactions, I would like to clarify a little, to a possible extent, that the situation of the Church is a so mysterious situation, that is not as easy to clarify things ...

Then the problem arises.

First problem: the communicatio in sacris.

Second problem: the question of heresy.

Third problem: the Pope is Pope even if he is heretic?

I do not know, I do not settle! But you may arise the question yourselves. I think every sensible man should ask himself the question. I do not know. So, now, is it urgent to talk about this? ...

You can obviously avoid to talk about it... we can talk between us, privately, in our offices, in our private conversations among seminarians, among priests...

Is it necessary to speak to the faithful? Many say:
— No, do not speak to the faithful; they will be shocked; that's going to be terrible, it will go farther...

Well, I said it to the priests, in Paris, when we had a meeting; then to you, I had already spoken to you, I said: I think that, very gently, it is necessary, nevertheless, shed some light on the faithful...

I am not saying it's necessary to do so brutally and launch it as a condiment to the faithful to scare them. No.

But I think that, after all, it is precisely a matter of faith. It is necessary that the faithful do not lose faith. We are to take care of the faithful to keep the faith of the faithful, to protect the faith.

They will lose faith ... even our traditionalists. Even our traditionalists no longer have faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. Since this faith is being lost! The priests are losing it, the bishops are losing it.

So, here is the situation we are facing and it is necessary to go back again and always to that: let us have faith, let's rekindle our faith, because the Council was what it was due to the faith that is being lost.

I think that is the problem.

And it is said: "Monsignor will make schism ... But who makes schism? ... Not me! To make schism is necessary to leave the Church. And to leave the Church, is to leave the faith first.

Who leaves the faith of the Church? The authority is in the service of faith. If it rejects the faith, it is the authority that makes schism. Then it is not us who makes schism.

What will come out of all this?

It will be necessary that God speaks one day. It is not possible that God allows to be cast aside by those who should defend Him, by those who should be His supporters ...

It is not possible that this lasts indefinitely! That is not possible!

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

New post Re: Archbishop Lefebvre on pope-heretic question
Does anybody have access to the collected sermons and conferences of the Archbishop (in French, I presume)?

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 am
Profile E-mail

John Lane wrote:
Does anybody have access to the collected sermons and conferences of the Archbishop (in French, I presume)?
This look like it (2 vol.): Un évêque parle; écrits et allocutions (Paris: D. Morin [1974]), which covers 1963-1976.

Modernism: modernism. us.to
blog: sententiaedeo.blogspot. com
Aristotelian Thomism: scholastic. us.to

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

No, that is too early. The text above is from 1986. I was thinking of the one that has been "banned" and which was compiled around three years ago in France.

Thu May 01, 2014 8:59 am
Profile E-mail

Can you say more about this "banned" book John? Who put it out? Who called for its proscription?

Last edited by Edward T. Horan III on Sun May 04, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 01, 2014 11:09 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

It was edited by the people from a French sede organisation and the SSPX took legal action to prevent its sale. As I understand it, the issue was not the content, but the people publishing it. They are known for accusing Bishop Williamson, with no real foundation, of being a Rosicrucian. That ought to give you the flavour. :)

Thu May 01, 2014 12:26 pm
Profile E-mail

I was not aware that they were French or Sedevacantists for that matter.

Some of the guys that I have read online, who are saying he is a Rosicrucian. They are clearly Protestants, and in individual in particular he writes on the topic of usury. He says that ever since the post-Renaissance all of the Popes are anti-Popes, because they deviated from the faith on the matter. To call them sede, is a disservice, they are not even Catholic. Just because we agree partially on one matter does not mean, that they are totally bat nuts crazy, which is what they are. The speeches and writings of +Lefebvre should not be copyrighted, they should be public domain.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:55 am
Profile E-mail