It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Britain's Atlantis 

New post Britain's Atlantis
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... s-ago.html

I thought this was a really interesting article. It's about the mainland of Britain being larger at one time and home to mammoths of all things, which I, for whatever reason, thought was exclusively a North American artifact. I wasn't certain from the article if they had dug up any human remains. And a second thought that I had was that this flooding could be proof of the Great Deluge, who knows.

I know that many protestants are hung up on the 6,000 year-old Earth thing. Still, I have been pressed "What age do you believe the Earth to be, then?" and I've always replied "I don't know, I wasn't around back then." I know that is rather simplistic, but I've come to notice that history and the sciences are much more enjoyable with refreshing glass of humility, especially for us laymen. I guess that translates into other areas, especially where the Queen of the Sciences is concerned. (Oh, Hi?! 19-year old Theologians, I didn't see you standing there.)

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:07 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Britian's Atlantis
Good discussion topic. Is there anything in doctrine, the Bible or Tradition that tells us how old the earth is? I'm afraid I hold the "Protestant" view that the earth is about 8 thousand years old. Yes, I know, no humility but I think I could point to being influenced by someone else's pride? :D Just can't track back now how I came to this thinking.

One of my children think the earth is a LOT younger than this even. They asked me one day if Adam and Eve were Grandad's and Grandmother's parents! Serious Bible History revision in order, needless to say.

On the last day, when the general examination takes place, there will be no question at all on the text of Aristotle, the aphorisms of Hippocrates, or the paragraphs of Justinian. Charity will be the whole syllabus.

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 pm
Profile E-mail

I have read guesstimates in Catholic history books, probably based on tradition, but I have not read anything with authority that makes an attempt to put a definite number on years. I'm not saying that there isn't anything out there, I just have not come across it. Or maybe I didn't notice it because I was skimming the page instead of reading carefully :lol:

Personally, I tend to not believe the billions-of-years-types or the literal 6,000, 365-day-year people. Either way, it is so fascinating how God's Hand has shaped our world.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:34 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Britain's Atlantis
Good evening, Aggie!

You know I forgot to thank you for that article, my daughter and I found it fascinating. And whatever age the earth is (I liked your answer to people asking this...), yet another proof of a great deluge. I would love to be archeological diver! In the next life. Another interesting proof of the flood is that shells are found on the Great Nullabor Plain - the desert wasteland that stretches across Western Australia and South Australia. Along one point of this Plain it meets the coast and there is a sheer cliff drop to the sea, called the Great Australian Bight. It would have been an awfully long climb for those sea creatures to make it to the top and into the desert. :-)

On the last day, when the general examination takes place, there will be no question at all on the text of Aristotle, the aphorisms of Hippocrates, or the paragraphs of Justinian. Charity will be the whole syllabus.

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:38 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Britain's Atlantis
Regarding the age of the earth I remembered reading something about the 4 weeks of Advent representing 4000 years before Christ. Probably the same type of thing you've come across but certainly not something we are bound to believe. As more scientific discoveries are made we will likely know just as the end of the world arrives. By then, will anybody care?

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:43 am
Profile E-mail

Aggie wrote:
I have read guesstimates in Catholic history books, probably based on tradition, but I have not read anything with authority that makes an attempt to put a definite number on years. I'm not saying that there isn't anything out there, I just have not come across it. Or maybe I didn't notice it because I was skimming the page instead of reading carefully :lol:

Personally, I tend to not believe the billions-of-years-types or the literal 6,000, 365-day-year people. Either way, it is so fascinating how God's Hand has shaped our world.

Fascinating thread, Aggie, glad you brought it up.

The footnotes in my old Douay-Rheims is very specific... Creation occurred 4004 BC.
I can only assume that someone arrived at that figure by wading through the "begats" with a fine-tooth comb. A very tough and time-consuming work, I'm sure, but not definitive on account of that.

Ultimately, though, the only reason the anti-theists insist that the Universe is untold billions of years old is that they hope that if you wait long enough a thing that does not exist will cause itself to exist... It's still absurd no matter how long you wait.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:35 am
Profile E-mail