It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:53 am

Mumbling through the Mass 

New post Mumbling through the Mass
What is everyone's view on a priest flying through the Mass?

The SSPX priest we see goes so fast that it is nearly impossible to follow. Isn't it more reverent to go through the Mass slower? Why do so many priests think they have to fly through the Mass? What is the hurry?

Robert

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:15 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Mumbling through the Mass
Quote:
cassman wrote:
What is everyone's view on a priest flying through the Mass?

The SSPX priest we see goes so fast that it is nearly impossible to follow. Isn't it more reverent to go through the Mass slower? Why do so many priests think they have to fly through the Mass? What is the hurry?

Robert

Robert, i`ve seen this many times and i don`t like it either.
It`s a good question.

Cristian

Leon Bloy

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Speak to or write to the priest involved, if you have not done so, not in a scolding way, but in a lovingly concerned way. He may be succumbing to a kind of abuse due to external pressures you are unaware of. Gentle concern will more likely be well received.

Most priests in my experience, keep to the best and blessed liturgical pace but many of us have known some who seem to rush through or who preach too long and ramble. Even good priests are human enough.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:53 am

New post As far as I know mumbling is not part of the Liturgical norm
Yes, this is a huge problem for me. I have to say that the Superiors of the SSPX need to enforce regular liturgical pace more. I have known too many SSPX priest that go through the mass too quickly :x , it is unedifying it is simply not in line with the mind of the Church. If you look at Saint Charbel, his love and devotion to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, he literally said every single word with love, attentiveness and devotion. Yes our priest are human, but they will be less human and more supernatural once they decide to be attached to the most important part of their office as priest (which is the celebration of the Sacred Mysteries!). Now many might argue that, they have sometimes so many masses to say, but it seems like the rule is to say it quickly even if its the only mass they have to say in the day. This is just my personal observation, sadly enough I don't like it one bit and for me its one of the things that bothers me the most. :| By the way hi to everyone! I have been reading extensively all of your post, and thank you so much for John Lane for allowing me to part of the gang :).

Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:13 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I wonder if it's a cultural thing?

I've known priests like this too. But the priests of the SSPX I've seen, and it's a fair number, generally don't do this. Others may have their impressions, which would be interesting.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:26 am
Profile E-mail