It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 8:02 am

Da Silveira on the heretic pope thesis 
Site Admin

New post Da Silveira on the heretic pope thesis
For a short time only, I have uploaded Da Silveria's book on the heretic pope thesis to the following location. http://www.strobertbellarmine.net/books/Pope_Bad.pdf

The TFP has been busily suppressing this book ever since it was first published. For this reason Catholic Research Institute no longer sells printed copies. Da Silveria himself went along with this suppression publicly at least. So if you want a copy, please download and save it soon.

Also in that directory < http://www.strobertbellarmine.net/books > are numerous other books scanned and distributed by other traditional Catholics which I have saved over the years. I have not read them all, and therefore cannot recommend all of them. I can recommend many, but I don't have time to make a list now.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:23 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Da Silveira on the heretic pope thesis
Just wondering: Who, precisely is TFP and why would they have the ability to suppress this work?

Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:03 pm
Site Admin

As I understand it, they published it - then withdrew it and will not grant permission for anybody else to publish it. They demanded that Fr. Vaillancourt cease distributing it in English some time ago. I suggest that you write to TIA (TFP USA, as far as I can tell) and see if they have any better information. I have a hunch that if asked, and if they deigned to reply, they would express the opinion that it should not be published further. There is a complicated and disedifying history to be told one day about the dealings of the TFP and the Campos situation too.

Here's what I have on the subject in The Church Crucified.

Da Silveira’s work is entitled “Theological and Moral Implications of the New Ordo Missae." Circa 1975. On page 3 of the English edition is the following information: "The matter contained in this volume was originally published in Portuguese in three independent studies: "Consideracoes sobre o Ordo Missae de Paulo VI", Sao Paulo, Brazil, June, 1970, XX-169 pp., "Modificacoes Introduzida no Ordo de 1969", Sao Paulo, Brazil, August, 1970, 20 pp.; and "A Infallibidade das Leis Eclesiasticas", Sao Paulo, Brazil, January, 1971, XI-34 pp." In its French translation the work was entitled, La nouvelle messe de Paul VI: Qu'en penser? and was published in 1975. An anonymous translator published the English edition in the USA in the mid-1970s. Subsequently, the section of this edition treating of the “pope heretic” question was re-published by Catholic Research Institute, Spokane, Washington, 1998, as Can the Pope Go Bad? It seems that the author, the layman da Silveira, under pressure from the Brazilian episcopate to avoid making unnecessary disturbances and disunity in the Church, agreed not to publish the book and only circulated a limited number of private copies, hoping that those with responsibility in the Church would consider his work respectfully and act against the New Mass. Instead, the result was that the book was effectively buried for many years.

Arnaldo Vidigal Xavier da Silveira was born in São Paolo, Brazil, in 1929. Educated through high school by the Jesuits, he graduated in 1956 in Law and Social Sciences from the Catholic Pontifical University of São Paulo. Later, he studied philosophy at the Grand Seminary of the Immaculate Conception Centre, and from 1956 to 1963, he taught Philosophy at the Catholic Pontifical University of São Paulo. He was one of the main collaborators of the monthly journal "Catolicismo", published under the auspices of Bishop Antonio de Castro Mayer, Bishop of the Diocese of Campos (Brazil).

Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Fortunate me! I have the book!! Got it at the Mount a few years ago. If I recall, it was the last one they had.

I have read it twice and need to read it again. And I can't understand why anyone would want the book suppressed.

It wasn't a hard book to read nor to comprehend...even for me! :D

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:42 pm

To those who don't know, TFP stands for "Tradition, Family, Property". I have a good friend who has been heavily involved with it for years. I would very strongly recommend avoiding having anything at all to do with it.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:43 pm
Profile E-mail

John Lane wrote:
For a short time only, I have uploaded Da Silveria's book on the heretic pope thesis to the following location. http://www.strobertbellarmine.net/books/Pope_Bad.pdf

Thanks for uploading this.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:15 pm