It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Fr. Paul Schoonbroodt. R.I.P. 

New post Fr. Paul Schoonbroodt. R.I.P.
I was informed by a friend in Belgium this morning that Fr. Schoonbroodt succumbed this morning to, apparently, injuries received in a recent automobile accident. Another warrior for the Faith is no longer with us. Please include him in your prayers.

May his soul, and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Sun May 27, 2012 5:28 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Fr. Paul Schoonbroodt. R.I.P.
Ken,

I put the notice of Fr Schoonbroodt's death in the death notices forum a little earlier today. I am not sure how accurate it is that he died of the consequences of the motor accident he was in recently. So far as I can make out, he was operated on for gall bladder problems - presumably not directly connected with the accident - and died the following day. He was of course one of the very last traditional priests to have been appointed to the canonical office of parish priest (or pastor). I now know only of Fr Jean Siegel, appointed to the parish of Thal Drulingen in Alsace in 1958 and still at his post, and - incredibly - in occupation of the (tiny) parish church where he offers his Mass with no mention of the current usurper in the Vatican.

John

Sun May 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Thank you, John. I had not been told that Fr. Schoonbroodt died of the result of his accident: I was more or less presuming, since I had not heard of his gall bladder problems.

Sun May 27, 2012 8:35 pm
Profile E-mail

Actually I may be wrong Ken. Someone else is saying the operation was on his pleura, in which case a direct connection with the accident is more likely. But there is no doubt that he was already in poor health before the accident.

Mon May 28, 2012 10:08 am

Well, according to what we were able to learn about him, he was born in 1933, which would make him nearly 80 years old. Even so, his death is a tragic loss for us all.

Mon May 28, 2012 2:54 pm
Profile E-mail

Fr Eugen Rissling, who kept in touch with Fr Paul Schoonbroodt, tells me that he tried telephoning him last Friday, but learned that, having just come out of surgery to deal with “water in lungs”, Fr Schoonbroodt was not well enough to speak, but was in a stable condition. On Saturday evening, Fr Rissling received notice of Fr Schoonbroodt’s death, possibly due to kidney failure.

Prayers are invited for the soul of Fr Schoonbroodt and for his congregation who must now decide about the future of their Chapel.

Mon May 28, 2012 5:42 pm
Profile E-mail

I was very sad to hear of Fr. Schoonbroodt's death. Though I never spoke to him, I learned much from his works. Now I can speak to him, pray for him and ask him to please pray for us.

Wed May 30, 2012 2:06 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Fr. Schoodbroodt:

Fr. Schoodbroodt's church, the Parish Church of Steffeshausen in Belgium, of which he was pastor when excommunicated by his bishop for refusing to adopt the Protestant new mass:

From Fr. Barbara, writing in 1988:
Quote:
One of our friends, the Abbe Schoonbroodt, cure of Steffeshausen in Belgium, has up to now been able to remain the head of three parishes while continuing to say the Mass of Pius V. Without approving of the situation, his bishop left him alone. When the time came for this bishop to retire, he was replaced by Rome with another. The new bishop of Liege summoned the Abbe Schoonbroodt and asked him to submit to the demands of the new Church or give up his parishes. The brave Cure did not wish to abandon either the Mass of his ordination, nor the faithful who had placed their confidence in him and encouraged him in standing fast for the faith. As a result he found himself in conflict with the new bishop. A committee was organized in support of his stand. After some months of struggle, the Conciliar bishop excommunicated the Abbe Schoonbroodt.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:35 pm
Profile E-mail

Pax Christi !

Quote:
the Conciliar bishop excommunicated the Abbe Schoonbroodt

If the Conciliar church is Catholic- why is yesterdays orthodoxy todays heresy?

In Xto,
Vincent

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:22 am

If the Abbe Schoonbroodt can be "excommunicated" by the Concilliar Church, then I, for one, am glad to be included in that "excommunication", as I am certain I am.

Our local "bishop" has decided that all of us who adhere to the Traditional Mass are "schismatic", and are not to be "served" by any of "his" priests. Any priest who dares to do so has been threatened with being "defrocked" and publicly humiliated, no matter his age or true status.

Perhaps one of the good things that is coming out of the SSPX' attempted rapprochement with Rome is a clearer division between "the sheep and the goats". God does "winnow His grain" now and then... I suspect that is what we are seeing now.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:46 pm
Profile E-mail