It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Siri Thesis? 

New post Siri Thesis?
Does anyone beleive in this? I have read about it and it seems intereasting but I do not beleive it sense Cardinal Siri performed the New Mass and showed obediance to JPII.

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:23 am

New post 
Pax Christi !

I will weigh in here. Regarding the Siri thesis, I do not accept it for a number of reasons;

1. In 1976 I visited Italy, and stopped in Genoa, Cardinal Siri publicly accepted Paul VI as pope. In fact the new Mass and table were everywhere in his diocese.
2. A candidate that is elected to the See of Rome, is not a pope unless he accepts his election.
3. This is moot anyway, since there is no public evidence that Siri considered himself the pope.

Surly other members of this esteemed fourm can find even better reasons to hold the Siri Thesis in doubt.

In Xto,
Vincent

Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:09 am
Site Admin

New post 
Vince Sheridan wrote:
1. In 1976 I visited Italy, and stopped in Genoa, Cardinal Siri publicly accepted Paul VI as pope. In fact the new Mass and table were everywhere in his diocese.
2. A candidate that is elected to the See of Rome, is not a pope unless he accepts his election.
3. This is moot anyway, since there is no public evidence that Siri considered himself the pope.

Dear Vince,

I didn't know you had been to Genoa in the 'seventies. What a blessing that you saw first-hand the situation there.

Your point #2 is answered by the Thesis in the claim that Cardinal Siri did indeed accept, but was then bullied or blackmailed into a resignation which is regarded as invalid due to the grave fear which motivated it. This claim is a question of fact. I have not seen any evidence to support it.

Your point #3 is obviously unanswerable, but I believe that the Siri Thesis promoters consider that a secret pope who publicly accepts the anti-pope as pope, could still be true pope himself. A most extraordinary claim, but there you have it. There is of course no theological evidence for the validity of such a claim, and it does appear to conflict directly with the saw, "a doubtful pope is no pope."

But what Gary Giuffre has certainly done is to highlight that there were apparent irregularities during the 1958 conclave, which if they could be clearly proved would serve to cast objective doubt on the election of Roncalli as John XXIII, and would also thus serve to explain the origin of the crisis in the papacy.

Unfortunately the evidence is difficult to extract. Mr. Giuffre has promised to publish a book for many years, but has not yet done so. Apparently he and others think that prophecies and the like are of interest prior to clear proofs for the essential facts about the 1958 conclave, which is absurd. We need to see the fundamental facts, and nothing else, for the time being. Until these are provided in clear form, the Thesis is speculation.

I have asked for this, as have others many times. Mr. Giuffre wants thousands of words to put his case in The Four Marks, which only adds to the impression that he doesn't have the essential facts required to establish a prima facie case. Or is it merely that he doesn't know what would constitute an essentially solid case?

Here is a Web site run by friends of mine who have their heads screwed on, and who are quite convinced that there is something in all of this. I presume that they will publish the facts when they have them. http://www.eclipseofthechurch.com

Now, I have good reasons for not wanting this subject discussed here, so I would encourage anybody who feels the need to have their say about it to head on over to http://www.fisheaters.com and go for it. And if anything I've written here irritates you, please feel free to email me or say so publicly on Fisheaters.

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:05 pm
Profile E-mail