It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:57 pm

30 valid Novus Ordo Bishops living 

New post 30 valid Novus Ordo Bishops living
I put together a list of all the current living Novus Ordo Bishops who were consecrated in the old rite. I looked at all the consecrations from the years 1947-1967. 1951 is the first year in which we have a living Bishop. Only a few are not retired. One of them is a Cardinal. One of them is 100 years old. I've put their last assignment next to their name.

1947 to 1950

All deceased

Consecrated Bishop in 1951

Bishop Pavel Hnilica, S.J. Titular Bishop of Rusadus

1952 & 1953

All deceased

Consecrated Bishop in 1954

Bishop José de Almeida Batista Pereira Bishop of Guaxupé, Minas Gerais, Brazil

Consecrated Bishop in 1955

Archbishop Emilio Benavent Escuín Titular Archbishop of Maximiana in Numidia Bishop of Spain, Military

Consecrated Bishop in 1956

Bishop Luis Manresa Formosa, S.J. Bishop of Quetzaltenango, Los Altos, Guatemala

Consecrated Bishop in 1957

Archbishop Jaime Luiz Coelho Archbishop of Maringá, Parana, Brazil

Bernardin Cardinal Gantin Dean of College of Cardinals, Roman Curia DOB 8 May 1922

1958 & 1959

All deceased

Consecrated Bishop in 1960

Bishop Samuel Ruiz García, Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas, México

Archbishop Marius-Félix-Antoine Maziers, Archbishop of Bordeaux (-Bazas), France

Consecrated Bishop in 1961

Archbishop Ioánnis Perrís, Archbishop of Naxos, Andros, Tinos e Mykonos, Greece

Bishop Michel Nguyên Khác Ngu Bishop of Long Xuyên, Viêt Nam DOB 2 Feb 1909

Bishop Antoine Nguyên Van Thien, Titular Bishop of Hispellum, Bishop of Vinh Long, Viêt Nam DOB 13 Mar 1906

Consecrated Bishop in 1962

Bishop José Mauro Ramalho de Alarcón Santiago, Bishop of Iguatú, Ceara, Brazil

Bishop Gregorio Garavito Jiménez, S.M.M., Bishop of Villavicencio, Colombia

Consecrated Bishop in 1963

Bishop José Nicomedes Grossi, Bishop of Bom Jesus da Lapa, Baia, Brazil

Consecrated Bishop in 1964

Bishop Victor Garaygordóbil Berrizbeitia Prelate of Los Ríos, Ecuador

Bishop Bernard Matthew Kelly, Auxiliary Bishop of Providence, Rhode Island, USA

Archbishop Alphonsus Mathias, Archbishop of Bangalore, India

Archbishop Savino Bernardo Maria Cazzaro Bertollo, O.S.M., Archbishop of Puerto Montt, Chile

Bishop Andreas Peter Cornelius Sol, M.S.C., Bishop of Amboina, Indonesia

Consecrated Bishop in 1965

Archbishop Gabriel Thohey Mahn-Gaby Archbishop of Yangon, Myanmar

Archbishop James Odongo, Archbishop of Tororo, Uganda

Consecrated Bishop in 1966

Bishop Arturo Salazar Mejia, O.A.R. Bishop of Pasto, Colombia

Salvatore Cardinal Pappalardo Archbishop of Palermo, Italy

Archbishop Ismael Blas Rolón Silvero, S.D.B. Archbishop of Asunción, Paraguay

Archbishop Ignacy Tokarczuk, Archbishop of Przemysl, Poland

Bishop Augustine Harris, Bishop of Middlesbrough, England, Great Britain

Consecrated Bishop in 1967

Bishop Nikol Joseph Cauchi- Bishop of Gozo, Malta

Bishop Edwin Bernard Broderick Bishop Emeritus of Albany

Bishop José Francisco Moreira dos Santos, O.F.M. Cap. Bishop of Carmona e São Salvador, Angola

Bishop Jesus Y. Varela, Bishop of Sorsogon, Philippines

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While researching this I saw probably twice this number who have died since the year 2000.

We should also not forget about all the Eastern Catholic Bishops in the world, all of which were unquestionably validly consecrated.

Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:22 pm
Profile E-mail

New post 
Brogan,

You may be aware that there is a Mr John Winrod who regularlly circulates lists of surviving hierarchical bishops consecrated before 1958.

His last list came out three or four months back. While I have temporarily mislaid it, I am prettty sure he had about sixty names on the list - there were 91 in 2004 and the deaths were about the level one would expect for such a group.

Hence your figure of only thirty for those consecrated prior to 1968 seems very low: are you sure?

John

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:30 pm

New post 
I am definently not sure. I was researching only on the internet. All I did was check lists of consecrations based on the year and then tried to find who was still alive out of that list. Perhaps the original lists were incomplete. It would be good news to hear that their were more than this.

Actually I was using mainly David Cheney's website http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org

Also I find it interesting that a list would be drawn up of those consecrated before 1958 (valid pope and valid rite) instead of before 1968 (valid rite only). Is there some theory or opinion being put forth by this man about the status of validly consecrated, yet invalidly appointed, bishops? It seems curious to hold that there would be an important difference between them. Or is this perhaps an issue of jurisdiction? Is he trying to answer the charge that, in order for the church to have remained indefectible, there must be at least one bishop remaining with jurisdiction?

Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:59 pm
Profile E-mail

New post 
I've no doubt Winrod has a theory, but I've never worked out what it is. I'm not even sure he's a sedevacantist.

I do myself think that there is a huge difference between a valid bishop who was validly appointed to the hierarchy as well as validly consecrated - both are needed to be fully a successor of the apostles - but I don't think that all appointments since 1958 have been invalid: jurisdiction is supplied in common error and there is no doubt that there was common error for at least the whole of John XXIII and the very beginning of Paul VI.

In any event when I rediscover the list I shall try to give some more details.

JD

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:24 pm

New post 
You miss at least one bishop :

Bishop John Willem Nicolaysen GRAN who was bishop of Oslo (Norway) from 1964 to 1983.

He is now retired and spends most of his time in Corsica.
He took part of the Second Vatican Council.

H.

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:07 pm

New post 
I once heard that 600 bishops did not sign the Vatican II documents. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:25 pm
Profile E-mail