It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:30 am

A Question: Fr. Berry's "The Apocalypse of St. John." 

New post A Question: Fr. Berry's "The Apocalypse of St. John."
In re-reading Fr. E. Sylvester Berry’s The Apocalypse of St. John, I ran across the following statement on page 140.

“Father Sloet of Holland proposed a solution (to the interpretation of St. John’s the number 666 as being the number of the anti-christ’s name) based upon the title of Antichrist as king of Israel.” and, “In Hebrew this idea could be expressed by the words (hammelek l’Yisrael), which have the requisite numerical value of 666; but in order to obtain this number kaph medial must be used in melek (king) instead of kaph final.” (I am unable to include the requisite Hebrew characters in this post, but they can be seen in the book, available here: http://www.strobertbellarmine.net/books ... alypse.pdf)

Fr. Berry did not elaborate on this. Does anyone here have any idea of the significance of this difference between kaph medial and kaph final, and why, or even if, it is important?

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:30 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: A Question: Fr. Berry's "The Apocalypse of St. John."
Ken Gordon wrote:
In re-reading Fr. E. Sylvester Berry’s The Apocalypse of St. John, I ran across the following statement on page 140.

“Father Sloet of Holland proposed a solution (to the interpretation of St. John’s the number 666 as being the number of the anti-christ’s name) based upon the title of Antichrist as king of Israel.” and, “In Hebrew this idea could be expressed by the words (hammelek l’Yisrael), which have the requisite numerical value of 666; but in order to obtain this number kaph medial must be used in melek (king) instead of kaph final.” (I am unable to include the requisite Hebrew characters in this post, but they can be seen in the book, available here: http://www.strobertbellarmine.net/books ... alypse.pdf)

Fr. Berry did not elaborate on this. Does anyone here have any idea of the significance of this difference between kaph medial and kaph final, and why, or even if, it is important?

Well, the thing is that kaph medial values 20 whereas kaph final equals 500, that´s why he had to make that little trick. See here for the values http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gematria

Leon Bloy

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Cristian Jacobo wrote:
Well, the thing is that kaph medial values 20 whereas kaph final equals 500, that´s why he had to make that little trick. See here for the values http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gematria

Thanks, Cristian, but my question is really, "Why is it important that the one is used rather than the other? Is kaph final normally used, and kaph medial ordinarily never used in this context? If this last is so, then it sounds as though Fr. Sloet is "fudging" the figures, and we still would have no idea at all what St. John was alluding to."

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:10 pm
Profile E-mail

Ken Gordon wrote:
Cristian Jacobo wrote:

Thanks, Cristian, but my question is really, "Why is it important that the one is used rather than the other? Is kaph final normally used, and kaph medial ordinarily never used in this context? If this last is so, then it sounds as though Fr. Sloet is "fudging" the figures, and we still would have no idea at all what St. John was alluding to."

In "hammelek l’Yisrael" the value of the letter "k" is 500, but in order to get 666 the author needs to take the value of the final "k" as if it were a middle "k"; otherwise you get more that 666.

Leon Bloy

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Cristian Jacobo wrote:
Ken Gordon wrote:
Cristian Jacobo wrote:

In "hammelek l’Yisrael" the value of the letter "k" is 500, but in order to get 666 the author needs to take the value of the final "k" as if it were a middle "k"; otherwise you get more that 666.

That exercise, then, seems dubious to me...

It seems to me that Fr. Sloet is "adjusting" the facts to fit his preconceived conclusion. This is not right.

Therefore, we are still as much in the dark as we ever were.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:04 pm
Profile E-mail