It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:20 pm

The Principle pre-screening at the U. of Arizona with Delano 

New post The Principle pre-screening at the U. of Arizona with Delano

http://theprinciplemovie.com/ pre-screening, April 30, 2014
physicists featured in the film: George Ellis, Michio Kaku, Julian Barbour, Lawrence Krauss, and Max Tegmark.
with Rick Delano (writer) and Robert Sungenis (producer)

Rick Delano's blog post about the event wrote:
Three Cheers for Two Students

The importance of, and hysterical resistance to, "The Principle" continues to be demonstrated.

The previous two times I screened "The Principle" you couldn't find room inside to sit down.

Given the massive, worldwide media assault, I expected similar circumstances at our U of A screening.

Instead, when we arrived, there were a paltry 25 people or so.

Turns out, as I was informed by students at the screening, that the faculty- specifically, certain Teaching Assistants on the astronomy faculty- had spent the previous few days demanding that students not attend the screening, repeating the hysterical "Scientists and Captain Janeway Hypnotized Into Film None Of Them Have Any Idea What They Said Or Read From The Script" media narrative, which will, as the film nears release, become one of the most richly comical sources of amusement in a long time

Now it is very easy to see how wrong this is.

These folks are, allegedly and according to all appearances, scientists and teachers.

But scientists are trained to observe before they reach conclusions.

Teachers of science are, it is devoutly to be wished, paid to teach students to observe before reaching conclusions.

In the case of the University of Arizona, we see that at least some of the astronomy faculty are, as a practical matter, where the rubber meets the road, profoundly committed to the exact opposite of the scientific method, and are quite prepared to enforce this perversion of scientific methodology directly on their students.

But this approach is intrinsically and certainly doomed.

As I was leaving to return to Los Angeles, two of the attendees stopped me on my way out of the parking garage.

They told me they were members of the Student Events group at UA, and they were both very surprised to have seen how balanced "The Principle" was, in direct contradiction to what the media and the faculty at UA had said (without having bothered to see it first).

They invited us back for another screening, one for which they assured me they would do everything in their power to see to it that the actual *film* was described, rather than the hysterical fictions of a terrified establishment, which is apparently determined to do its utmost to keep you from the astonishing new scientific evidence which shows, as Lawrence Krauss has said, that Copernicus may in fact be "coming back to haunt us".

"The Principle" is the one film you absolutely MUST see this year.
(source)

Rick Delano is cleary very pro-academic freedom (scientific democracy) in the true sense (not the American Association of University Professor's definition that TAC's founding document quotes and attacks). Just as political democracy only works best when under the guidance of Catholicism (cf. Orestes Browson), so also does scientific democracy.

Modernism: modernism. us.to
blog: sententiaedeo.blogspot. com
Aristotelian Thomism: scholastic. us.to

Sun May 04, 2014 1:45 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

New post Re: The Principle pre-screening at the U. of Arizona with De
Goodness, I flip-flop between thinking that this whole issue should just be left alone, as the Church has done for a few centuries, to thinking how fascinating it is, and potentially how important! :)

Maybe the best thing would be if the subject could be tackled without involving the Church's credibility and merely remain on the scientific plane? Anyway, it's not my decision, fortunately!

In LA a couple of weeks ago I met a very nice fellow at the SSPX Arcadia chapel (best choir I have ever heard, bar none!) called Dennis Rudmin who knows Rick Delano and who has been involved in the film industry. Dennis has seen a cut of the movie. He's very enthusiastic and had a lot of interesting things to say about it. It certainly looks impressive from what we've seen so far.

Mon May 05, 2014 1:33 pm
Profile E-mail

John Lane wrote:
In LA a couple of weeks ago I met a very nice fellow at the SSPX Arcadia chapel (best choir I have ever heard, bar none!) called Dennis Rudmin who knows Rick Delano and who has been involved in the film industry. Dennis has seen a cut of the movie. He's very enthusiastic and had a lot of interesting things to say about it. It certainly looks impressive from what we've seen so far.
I saw a pre-screening of it, too. The others in the audience were surprised how unbiased it actually was.

Mon May 05, 2014 6:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Alan Aversa wrote:
I saw a pre-screening of it, too.

Well, how about a review then? :)

Tue May 06, 2014 2:49 pm
Profile E-mail

John Lane wrote:
Alan Aversa wrote:
I saw a pre-screening of it, too.

Well, how about a review then? :)
Briefly:

I got the impression that its treatment of Giordano Bruno was a concession to atheists and that the narrator of The Principle thought he was condemned for believing in the plurality of words—and this is certainly what many people believe—, but the old Catholic Encyclopedia says:
Quote:
Bruno was not condemned for his defence of the Copernican system of astronomy, nor for his doctrine of the plurality of inhabited worlds, but for his theological errors, among which were the following: that Christ was not God but merely an unusually skilful magician, that the Holy Ghost is the soul of the world, that the Devil will be saved, etc.

His movie was very well-done. It covered quite a lot of ground in 1½ hours. And it sets a pretty high bar for pop sci movies; that's it's only "flaw" (for dumbed-down America, at least…).

Tue May 06, 2014 5:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Alan Aversa wrote:
And it sets a pretty high bar for pop sci movies; that's it's only "flaw" (for dumbed-down America, at least…).

Thanks Alan. You'll find it interesting that somebody else who has seen it told me that he suggested to Rick and Robert that they "dumb it down" some more for the sake of the average audience, but they refused. :)

Sat May 10, 2014 9:16 am
Profile E-mail