It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:48 am

The 1968 Episcopal Consecration's effects on the faithful 

New post The 1968 Episcopal Consecration's effects on the faithful
I'm wondering, if the post 1968 Bishops are not valid bishops, and therefore all the priests they ordain are invalid priests, what are the practical effects for the faithful? Baptisms would of course still be valid with a false priest as would marriages. Of course all the masses said by an invalid priest would have been no mass at all but the faithful who'd been attending these invalid masses would not be culpable for not fulfilling their Sunday obligation. The lack of a valid absolution at confession seems to be the real problem for the laity. For instance if someone has been assisting at mass at an FSSP indult parish for many years (a parish whose priests were ordained by a post 1968 novus ordo consecrated bishop) do these parishioners need to reconfess all of their confessions? I'm sure there are many other practical consequences for the faithful who've found themselves with an invalid priest.

After someone has stopped going to a doubtfully ordained priest for the sacraments what do they need to do?

Mon May 12, 2014 3:58 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

New post Re: The 1968 Episcopal Consecration's effects on the faithfu
Yes, it's a mess!

Making a general confession at some point would be an excellent idea. But I'd do it at a (five day) Ignatian retreat, if possible. To ensure one is truly prepared.

Mon May 12, 2014 5:03 am
Profile E-mail