It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Card. Burke - implicit sede vacante 
Site Admin

New post Card. Burke - implicit sede vacante
Rorate and others are in somewhat of a spin over recent comments made by Cardinal Burke to a Spanish magazine. Burke's interview is an obviously prepared and considered set of remarks. He addresses the fact that the Synod presented heresy - although, of course, he won't use the "h" word. None of them ever will.

Consider this passage:
Quote:
The pillar of the Church is matrimony. If we do not teach and live this truth well, we are lost. We stop being the Church. In the Synod, the teachings of the Church and a position that contradicts them cannot be placed at the same level.

If the denial of the indissolubility of Holy Matrimony is not heresy (it is!), then how could its denial result in those who make this denial "stop being the Church"?

Yet Burke's conclusion is incredibly weak: "In the Synod, the teachings of the Church and a position that contradicts them cannot be placed at the same level." The denial of Christ and the profession of Faith cannot be put on the same level. This is the good news and strong profession that Rorate and Co. celebrate! I don't wish to condemn them, they are obviously good people who have the faith themselves, but their attachment to these usurpers wrecks their intellectual and practical reaction to heresy.

This is brought out more clearly in the angst over Burke's further comment, that the Church is like a ship without a rudder. Obviously that is an excellent and concise expression of essential sede vacante. It echoed around the world like a gun shot.

Rorate now has a full translation of the interview, and presents it as follows.

Headline: Cardinal Burke's full interview with Spanish magazine Vida Nueva:
"It seems to many that the Church's ship has lost its compass"

Subtext: The interview of Cardinal Burke with Spanish Catholic weekly Vida Nueva is now very well-known due to the expression, "a rudderless ship", but taken out of context. Below, you will find the full translation of the interview...

One would think from that introduction that in the interview one will discover that the rudderless ship comment is not some kind of expression of the conviction that there can be no reference to the pope for those who have the faith. One might even think that the phrase "a rudderless ship" is not found in the interview, and that the correct translation is "the Church's ship has lost its compass." Actually, both expressions are Burke's.

Quote:
Some faithful are concerned with the path that the Church has taken. What do you say to them?

Many have shown me this concern. In such a critical moment, in which there is a strong feeling that the Church is as a ship without a rudder, the reason does not matter; it is more important than ever to study our faith, to have sane spiritual guidance, and to give strong witness of the faith. Some tell me, for instance, that taking part in the pro-life movement is not important anymore. I tell them that it is more important than ever.

Do you see the Church as being in a moment in which there is no one in charge?

I have all the respect for the Petrine Ministry, and I do not want it to appear like I am a voice opposed to the Pope. I would like to be a teacher of the faith, with all my weaknesses, saying the truth that many feel today. They feel a bit of seasickness, because it seems to them that the ship of the Church has lost its compass. The cause of this disorientation must be put aside. We have the constant tradition of the Church, the teachings, the liturgy, morals. The catechism does not change.

1. Burke clearly states that we ignore Francis and get on with professing the faith ourselves. "In such a critical moment, in which there is a strong feeling that the Church is as a ship without a rudder, the reason does not matter; it is more important than ever to study our faith, to have sane spiritual guidance, and to give strong witness of the faith." There's no other way to interpret that advice.

2. He is asked directly, "Do you see the Church as being in a moment in which there is no one in charge?" How does he reply? He can say, "Oh no, that's not what I think," or some nuanced version of that. He doesn't. He replies instead with confirmation of it and then dismisses its importance. "They feel a bit of seasickness, because it seems to them that the ship of the Church has lost its compass. The cause of this disorientation must be put aside. We have the constant tradition of the Church, the teachings, the liturgy, morals." So, the problem exists, ignore it, hold fast to tradition.

We are now witnessing the curious spectacle of a Novus Ordo cardinal expressing classical sedeplenist traditionalism, almost as if we had been transported back to the 1970s or 1980s...

Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:52 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Card. Burke - implicit sede vacante
Let's resolve to pray for Cardinal Burke and New Catholic and all the other Catholics who have boarded the ship with no compass and no rudder and few sails (sacraments). At least the true Barque of Peter has a compass (tradition) and full sails even if it doesn't have a captain to operate the rudder. Would that we at least had a plan and action items on how to put the captain back at the helm but alass we appear to be powerless to do anything about it.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:25 pm
Profile E-mail