It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 3:36 am

De Valore Notarum Theologicarum 

New post De Valore Notarum Theologicarum
I am in need of additional authorities on the universal and ordinary magesterium. I love John Daly's the impossible Crisis and was wondering if he ever translated into English Chapter four of De Valore Notarum Theologicarum – On the Meaning of Theological Qualifications — by Fr Sixtus Cartechini. His summary is excellent, but I wonder if he has the actual translation. This is a lot to ask and I certainly don't expect a busy man to have done so, but I thought I would ask just in case.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:59 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: De Valore Notarum Theologicarum
On another note, does anyone know of any books that are similar in content. As Caterchini's theological notes, maybe something else that goes more deeply over these concepts. I know you can search in different manuals some of this stuff, but just wondering. Thanks. Ditto the previous post too.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail

Father Berry's The Church of Christ is the best book I have on the subject. Otherwise there is A Manual of Catholic Theology, Based on Scheeben's “Dogmatik”
Joseph Wilhelm, D.D., PHD. And Thomas B. Scannell, D.D. which is found for free on this cite which is also excellent. There are a host of free books at I believe archive.com. Search theology books and enjoy:) There is also Rev Augustine's Commentary on the 1917 Code of Canon Law on there which is excellent.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:28 pm
Profile E-mail

To the previous post though, I believe I can get a Latin copy of Father Cartechini work. Although I have had several years of Latin, it is rather shaky at best. I was wondering if there was someone out there who I could trust and hire to translate Chapter four on the Universal and Ordinary Magisterium for me? I would be willing to pay for their time if I could afford it.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:32 pm
Profile E-mail

Dear James, the links you posted don't seem to work, can you repost them?

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:22 pm

James,

I haven't got a translation myself, but there was a project not long ago to translate the whole book. I can't recall if the detaisl are confidential or not so I won't give them, but if that project is still ongoing it will be your best hope.

I'm going to paste in a bibliography on the subject below, but you will see that practically none of the books is in English. What is available in English is the article in the Clergy Review by Canon Smith which I used.

Here's the full list :

BILLOT, L. – De immutabilitate Traditionis contra modernam hæresim Evolutionismi, 2. ed.
Romæ, 1907.
CAHILL, John, O.P. – The Development of the theological censures after the Council of Trent, 1563-1709
CARTECHINI, S. — De valore notarum theologicarum et de criteriisad eas dignoscendas,
Rome 1951.
FILOGRASSI, G., S. J. – Theologia catholica et Assumptio B.M.V., in “Gregorianum”, XXXI
(1950), p. 323-360.
FILOGRASSI, G., S. J. – Traditio divino-apostolica et Assumptio B.M.V., in “Gregorianum”,
XXX (1949), p. 443-489.
DE GRANDMAISON, L., S. J. – Le dogme chrétien, sa nature, ses formules, son développement,
Paris, 1928.
DI BARTOLO, S. – Nuova esposizione di criteriologia, Roma, 1904.
DORHOLT, B. – Entwicklung des Dogmas und Fortschritt in der Theologie, 1892.
DUBLANCHY, E. – Dogmatique ; Dogme, in Dictionnaire de Théologie Catholique, v. VIII, col.
1522-1650.
FRANZELIN, Card. J. B. – De divina Traditione et Scriptura, 2. ed. Romæ, 1875.
GARDEIL, A., O. P. – Le donné révélé et la théologie, 2. ed. Éd. Du Cerf, 1932.
GARRIGOU-LAGRANGE, R., O. P. – Verité et immutabilité du dogme in “Angelicum”, XXIV
(1947), p. 124-139; et alibi.
GOUPIL, A-A., S.J. – La Règle de la Foi, Paris, 1941
HAASE, F. – Begriff un Aufgabe der Dogmengeschichte, 1911.
KREBS, E. & JUNGLAS, J. P. – Dogma, in Lexikon fur Theologie und Kirche, Herder, v. II, col.
358-370.
LENNERZ, H. – De novissimis, 4. ed. Romæ, 1940.
MARIN-SOLA – L'évolution homogène du dogme catholique, 2. éd. 2. voll. Paris, 1924.
MURILLO, L., S. J. – El progreso en la Revelación cristiana, Roma, 1913.
PINARD, H. – Dogme, in d’Ales, Dictionnaire apologétique de la foi catholique, t. I, col. 1121-
RADEMACHER, A. – Die innere Einheit des Glauben, Bonn, 1937.
SCHULTES, R.-M., O. P. – Introductio ad historiam dogmatum, Parisiis, 1922.
SIMONIN, H.D., O. P. – Note sur l'argument de la tradition et la théologie, in “Angelicum”,
XV (1938), p. 409-418; et alibi.
TROMP, S., S. J. – De Revelatione Christiana, 5. ed. Romæ 1945.
VAGAGGINI, C. – Dogma, In “Enciclopedia cattolica”, v. IV, col. 1792-1804.
ZAPELENA, T., S. J. – Problema theologicum, in “Gregorianum”, XXIV (1943), p. 23-47; 287-
326; XXV (1944), p. 38-73; 247-282.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:43 pm

Thank you John Daly so much for taking the time to posting this list of references. I will pray that a English translation is made available for I think it would be of enormous value to the lay people of our day. Otherwise, I see I need to force myself to brush up on my Latin.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:05 pm
Profile E-mail

James Schroepfer wrote:
I will pray that a English translation is made available for I think it would be of enormous value to the lay people of our day. Otherwise, I see I need to force myself to brush up on my Latin.

I, too, hope to see a published English translation of Fr. Cartechini's book. But if you were to acquire a copy in Latin (either the old 1950s paperback original or the recent reprint from Tradibooks), I think you'll find the Latin "manageable" enough (although having on hand the second volume of Scanlon & Scanlon's Latin wouldn't hurt for its theological vocabulary).

Seeing Mr. Daly's list of books above, I recalled that Fr. Cahill mentions De Valore Notarum etc. in his monograph. Fr. Cahill's is an interesting comment (in the form of a long footnote) because it is the only one I've come across which picks a critical bone with Fr. Cartechini's study. The context is one Fr. Alphonsus de Castro's opinion RE the erroneous proposition:

Cahill O.P., John. The Development of the Theological Censures After the Council of Trent (1563-1709). Fribourg, Switzerland: The University Press, 1955. pp. 9-10. wrote:
At the outset, Castro candidly admits that he is at a loss to explain the difference between heresy and error. He notes that if we confine ourselves to a consideration of the name of this latter censure, then it has a very wide and generic signification, including even heresy. Generally speaking, error means the approval of falsity for truth or the rejection of truth for falsity. The erroneous proposition is necessarily false, and such a proposition in matters of faith -- error in fide -- is in contradition to truth which is of faith^1. How, he asks, can this be distinguished from heresy^2?

-----

^1 We note that Castro here introduces a slightly new terminology be referring to the censures as error in fide, instead of simple error. It is clear from the context, however, that both mean the same thing. Afterwards, we find Suarez (de fide, disput. 19, sect. 11, no. 11) using the same terms, 'error in fide', and likewise in this case, when we examine the context it becomes perfectly clear that error in fide and simpleerror are meant to signify the same thing. The exact words of Suarez are; "In secundo gradu damnabilium propositionum propositionum proponitur propositio erronea SEU error in fide."

We note this point to avoid confusion with another terminology which seems to have arisen in modern times. To cite but one example, we refer to a recent publication where this new terminology has been used. FR. CARTECHINI S.J. (De Valore Notarum Theologicarum, Romae 1951, p. 51 et seqq.), considers error in fide as a special censure corresponding to the theological note, de fide divina, (as distinct from de fide catholica). In this way, it is distinguished from error in theologia which corresponds to theologice certum.

The author points out that it is possible to have divine faith without any reference to the magisterium of the Church, as in the case of many Protestants, and as also in the case of the old testament before the advent of Christ. A denial of such faith cannot be censured as heresy, because there is no relation to the expressed teaching of the Church. To meet this difficulty, the censure error in fide is applied, which indicates a grave sin against faith, but which is not heresy in the juridical sense.

Though all the foregoing may be conceded, it is very difficult to admit error in fide as a theological or dogmatic censure, at least in the way we are considering such censures here. A theological censure, when applied by the Church, has a dogmatic value for all the faithful, and not just for the person who may have uttered the perverse doctrine. It is difficult to see how the censure error in fide as understood by Fr. Cartechini, could be applied to a proposition and then proposed as a dogmatic condemnation for the universal Church. Of its very nature, such a censure concerns individuals and their intimate relations with God, just as the corresponding theological note, de fide divina signifies faith without the intermediary action of the Church. For these reasons we cannot consider error in fide, as understood in this modern sense, to be a distinct censure. Likewise, it has never been officially used by the Church.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:07 am
Profile E-mail

Thank you for the suggestion Thomas. Very interesting footnote!

Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:06 am
Profile E-mail