It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Jurisdiction and Marriage 

New post Jurisdiction and Marriage
I have a question for the informed members of our board regarding a somewhat complex situation involving a relative of mine. Some years ago, my cousin got married in the Novus Ordo very reluctantly, and while I hate to say it since he's a relative and friend (he would admit this himself however), the only reason he went through it was cowardice and fear of his parents. Since it was based on a faulty foundation from square-one, things eventually fell apart, and the marriage was declared null by the diocesan tribunal. Subsequently, he became a traditonalist more or less of an SSPX-type, met a young lady, and was married by an SSPX priest (they now have a couple of beautiful children). Now, however, they are on the verge of becoming sedevacantists, but as you can probably figure out, there may or may not be a rather large problem; is the marriage that he is now in recognized by God? If not, can it be rectified in any way? What to do at this point?

Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:09 pm

New post 
This topic is probably a "Hot Potato". I notice that several people have looked at it, but did not contribute. This is a relevant topic. There are now 36,000 "Catholics" who receive "annulments" yearly from the Diocean Tribunals. (This is according to Fr. William Jenkins SSPV.) {please excuse the spelling.}

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:39 pm

New post 
Pax Christi !

Matt- I for one am not competent to answer this question.

In Xto,
Vincent

Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:13 am

New post 
Dear Matt,

It seems, from the information that you gave in your post, that the only basis for the annulment is "cowardice and fear of his parents." With the little amount of information given, it would be hard to make a firm judgement. That being said, if one were to base the grounds for an annulment on "cowardice and fear of his parents," in my humble opinion this would certainly not be sufficient grounds for granting an annulment. As I am sure you know, all an annulment is is when the Church declares that a valid marriage never took place.

As for the NO diocesan tribunal declaring the marriage null, it is not worth the paper it is printed on. They have no credibility whatsoever.

This is a very touchy subject and should be dealt with in a private fashion. I would suggest that you (more importantly they) should contact a Catholic priest competent to answer this question fully. My recommendation would be Father Joseph Collins in Albany, NY or Mr. John Daly who, being a layman, is quite learned when it comes to the subject of marriage laws and impediments. I know that Mr. Daly has a lot on his plate at the moment so, you may want to try Father Collins or another priest first.

JMJ,

Lance

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:16 am

New post 
Until competant and binding authority can advice the couple in this unhappy situation I would think it proper for the two to live as brother and sister, even if it so happens that they must live in this manner the remainder of their lives it is a far better circumstance than suffering the consequences of adultery. Aequiprobabilism surely plays an important role in the interim of receiving such advice.

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:21 pm

New post 
Thank you for the advice everyone; I really do appreciate it.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:56 pm