It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Newman and the Vatican Definition of Papal Infallibility 
Site Admin

New post Newman and the Vatican Definition of Papal Infallibility
John Henry Newman and the Vatican Definition of Papal Infallibility, by Rev. Joseph C. Fenton, S.T.D., Washington, DC., The American Ecclesiastical Review, October 1945.

http://strobertbellarmine.net/aer/newma ... bility.pdf

Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:25 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Newman and the Vatican Definition of Papal Infallibility
Pages 316 and 317 most surprised me in the text, seeing Newman's application of the minimizing principle after the council had given its solemn declaration on the matter, and the "judgment of the great body of the faithful" showed no doubt in definition concerned. How on earth could Newman here not have been at least suspect of heresy, if not having incurred the guilt of it?

Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:41 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

It's a fascinating controversy. I have to admit, I was indelibly shocked by Newman's behaviour in this matter when I first read this article a few years ago. His bitterness, rashness, and injustice towards men who were infinitely his superiors in theological learning (he was profoundly ignorant of St. Thomas and of Scholastic theology generally) and also in ecclesiastical office (Manning was an Archbishop, and he was a simple priest) is proof of a grossly inordinate self-love.

Manning's response as recorded in the first paragraph of p. 318 displays the spirit of a saint, always forming a good judgement of opponents when possible, always saving their feelings, always regarding the formal and not merely the material. Manning was a true giant on every score - Newman a flawed genius.

I say this despite holding that the Apologia Pro Vita Sua is amongst the finest English prose ever written (if not the finest), and despite thinking that Newman had a great heart and may even ultimately have been very holy himself. But it is the measure of the man that John Henry Newman's greatest literary work was produced in defence of John Henry Newman.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:09 am
Profile E-mail

Pax Christi !

It has been stated that Newman's writings were more " Catholic" while he was a Anglician, and more Anglican while he was a Catholic" ........

In Xto,

Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:25 pm