It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:01 am

Apologetics books 

New post Apologetics books
This perhaps is listed somewhere on this site, and I have not found it...I am rather new to the site, so pardon me if this is redundant.
Would anyone have any recommendations for a good apologetics book for the average adult reader? One that is to the point and well put, yet not so deep that it would qualify as seminary teaching/text? I would like to brush up on my apologetics information and would prefer to start basic, and then advance into more difficult text.

TheresaO

Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:26 pm

New post 
I have this one book I won't be without, purchased it at the gift shop at Mount St. Michael.

The Oratory Catechism ISBN 3-928198-02-5

It is very easy to read but very detailed. Not only about adult catechism but it explains exactly in detail the heresies of Vatican II.

Here is a small portion from page 346 - In view of the heresies and the falsified Sacraments, can one still say that the New Rome is the Catholic Church?

No, it is absolutely impossible that the New Rome is still the Catholic Church.

In her purity and holiness, the one, holy Catholic Church is an image of the most Blessed Virgin Mary. Therefore, false teaching can never be allowed to be proclaimed within the Church, contaminating the whole body. The Church herself can never make one of her Sacraments invalid or even merely suspect. That would contradict the holiness and Truth of the Church, who is the living Christ.

Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:21 pm
Site Admin

New post Re: Apologetics books
TheresaO wrote:
Would anyone have any recommendations for a good apologetics book for the average adult reader? One that is to the point and well put, yet not so deep that it would qualify as seminary teaching/text? I would like to brush up on my apologetics information and would prefer to start basic, and then advance into more difficult text.

Old books which you might find via bookfinder.com or abebooks.com are,

The Catholic's Ready Answer - this is a treasure-trove. Most of the "clever" answers given by modern apologists are probably borrowed from this without attribution. :)
Apologetics and Catholic Doctrine by Sheehan - this was aimed at high-school students, I believe, and Fr. John Kearney of the Holy Ghost Fathers (Fr. Leen's friend and collaborator) was virtual co-author with Archbishop Sheehan. This is a masterpiece.

And an old book which TAN reprinted at one time,

Apologetics, by Msgr. Paul Glenn - also very good, but not as rich in material as Sheehan.

Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:21 pm
Profile E-mail

Quote:
John Lane:
Apologetics and Catholic Doctrine by Sheehan - this was aimed at high-school students, I believe, and Fr. John Kearney of the Holy Ghost Fathers (Fr. Leen's friend and collaborator) was virtual co-author with Archbishop Sheehan. This is a masterpiece.

I found the following looking for the above book. I guess we have to be very careful about these reprints! :roll:

"This classic textbook for high-school students and adults deals with all the doctrines of the Catholic Faith and all the common attacks against it. Fully in line with the Catechism of the Catholic Church, this new revision by the Director of Studies at the new diocesan seminary in Wagga Wagga, Australia, will bring this monumental catechetical work of Archbishop Sheehan back into classrooms and adult instruction classes for the next generation of young Catholics, faithful to the Magisterium of the Church."

Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:31 am
Site Admin

Teresa Ginardi wrote:
I found the following looking for the above book. I guess we have to be very careful about these reprints! :roll:

"This classic textbook for high-school students and adults deals with all the doctrines of the Catholic Faith and all the common attacks against it. Fully in line with the Catechism of the Catholic Church, this new revision by the Director of Studies at the new diocesan seminary in Wagga Wagga, Australia, will bring this monumental catechetical work of Archbishop Sheehan back into classrooms and adult instruction classes for the next generation of young Catholics, faithful to the Magisterium of the Church."

Oh my! I had no idea that anybody in the Conciliar church even remembered this book. :)

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:11 am
Profile E-mail

New post 
Has anyone ever read "REBUILDING A LOST FAITH by An American Agnostic" written by John L. Stoddard? It is supposedly, according to the back cover of this book that I checked out of a local traditional catholic church library that I attend, a "great and famous apologetics book in defense of the truth of the catholic faith. It is written and the spiritual odyssey of hte author, showing how he lost his faith in christianity as a protestant seminary student, before long became an agnostic, and after 40 years, through the grace of God, was "forced" to search once more for religious truth, with the result that he finally became a catholic." It is nearly 300 pages long...Can anyone give me a positive, or otherwise, review of this particular book before I dive into it? It looks pretty intense...but one may not expect apologetics to be otherwise.

TheresaO

Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:50 pm

New post The book Rebuilding a Lost Faith
We have that book. I read it quite some time ago, and cannot now remember what I thought of it. Perhaps the simple fact that I cannot remember much about it tells you what you want to know. :)

I'll review it and answer you here.

Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:28 pm
Profile E-mail

New post 
Thank you. :D I shall look forward to, and await your response.

TheresaO

Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:21 pm

New post 
Teresa, I would recommend one I mentioned on another thread, called "No Crisis in the Church" by Simon Galloway. It carefully outlines and compares (in easy to read form) Catholic Church teachings before and after Vatican II. In one column, it would quote what one (or more) pre concillar popes would say (i.e. religious liberty), and what the Vatican II council (or what a post concillar pope) said. It's very thorough and speaks volumes.

I ordered mine from the In Spirit of Chartes website:

http://www.isoc.ws/Books.html

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:46 am