It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Archbishop Fulton J Sheen 

New post Archbishop Fulton J Sheen
Did Arch Bishop Sheen write any books? If so: does anyone have any ideas where I may be able to purchase books, tapes, and the like of Archbishop Fulton Sheen? I have one DVD of him--"A Family Retreat". I enjoy his presentations. I would thoroughly enjoy anything he wrote, I am sure. I have tried locally, but to no avail. So any ideas of where his items may be purchased would be a great blessing to me. I hope they are in reprint somewhere! Good Lord willing they are! Side bar: Any idea of his position (RE: the church) when he died?

PS--I did find 2 at Mt. St. Michael's book store--one called "Lift up your hearts" and the other--"Peace of Soul" both by Fulton Sheen.
Anyone know of others and where they may be found?

TheresaO

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:38 pm
Site Admin

New post Re: Archbishop Fulton J Sheen
TheresaO wrote:
Did Arch Bishop Sheen write any books?

Yes. :) A huge number. He also found time to obtain three or four doctoral degrees. A very brilliant man indeed.

He accepted V2, although I have heard that he tried to reverse some of it late in his life.

Here is how you can obtain his books cheaply (I am NOT recommending them - I never read him):

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... &y=12&x=65

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:15 am
Profile E-mail

New post 
You mentioned you would not recommend Archbishop Sheen's books. Is that because he may have endorsed V 2 in his writtings prior to his passing? I am only asking, so I do not invest money into any of his writings, with the risk of finding endorsements contrary to my traditional catholic beliefs.

TheresaO

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:04 pm

New post Re: Archbishop Fulton J Sheen
John Lane wrote:
Here is how you can obtain his books cheaply (I am NOT recommending them - I never read him)

Well, SOME of his writings are at least interesting and informative. Overall, I would most definitely have to agree with you.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

New post 
TheresaO wrote:
You mentioned you would not recommend Archbishop Sheen's books. Is that because he may have endorsed V 2 in his writtings prior to his passing? I am only asking, so I do not invest money into any of his writings, with the risk of finding endorsements contrary to my traditional catholic beliefs.

I really can't point you to any particular things, but I have just always been uncomfortable with him - a bit like Monsignor Ronald Knox. Just a bit too "clever" for my taste. And yes, Sheen did endorse V2. He implemented it in his diocese. So we have a posteriori evidence that he was not as sound as we might have hoped, if you see what I mean.

So, I am not endorsing him, but I am not particularly attacking him either. :) I am just trying to be helpful, showing you how to obtain the books cheaply and easily if you want them, but without you thinking that Sheen has my recommendation.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:58 pm
Profile E-mail

New post 
I do appreciate your input on the matter. I personally, do not know much about him, actually. His peak seemed to have been before my time. So, that puts me at a disadvantage in knowing much about him and his stand at the time of his death. My understanding is, at one time, he was a good Catholic priest. That is based only on heresay of others, however, not any specifics of my own knowledge of his time. Your input is valuable to me, and I do thank you (all) for it. I will take your input into advisement. I shall at the very least proceed with caution in the area of Archbishop Sheen books.

TheresaO

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:49 pm