It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 7:26 am

Statistics of Church Crisis 

New post Statistics of Church Crisis
Is there a good book or article overviewing the statistics of the present crisis in the Church? E.g., specific things like: "How many priests were previously married and had annulments before being ordained?" etc.

Dr. James Lothian (2000 October). "Mass of Paul VI: The Record After Thirty Years". Homiletics & Pastoral Review (1): 26-31. is good, but old.

Thanks

Modernism: modernism. us.to
blog: sententiaedeo.blogspot. com
Aristotelian Thomism: scholastic. us.to

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:51 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Statistics of Church Crisis
I've never seen this sort of statistic. The only statistical abstract of this sort I've seen documenting, in general, the decline of the Conciliar church is Index of Leading Catholic Indicators: The Church since Vatican II by Kenneth C. Jones published by Oriens Publishing (January 2003). It is nine years old already. This index is for the mostly for the United States and perhaps some data from Canada. It seems to still be available from online bookstores.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:05 pm

TKGS wrote:
I've never seen this sort of statistic.
Basically, I am looking for the most detailed statistics available. I use that example because I read somewhere that it is ½.
TKGS wrote:
The only statistical abstract of this sort I've seen documenting, in general, the decline of the Conciliar church is Index of Leading Catholic Indicators: The Church since Vatican II by Kenneth C. Jones published by Oriens Publishing (January 2003). It is nine years old already. This index is for the mostly for the United States and perhaps some data from Canada. It seems to still be available from online bookstores.
Thank you for the reference

I really should just find a copy of the Statistical Yearbook of the Church.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:35 pm
Profile E-mail

Then the book you're looking for is the one I listed. I doubt the Conciliar produced book will provide the statistics you really want unless you want to do the analysis from scratch.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:07 pm

TKGS wrote:
Then the book you're looking for is the one I listed. I doubt the Conciliar produced book will provide the statistics you really want unless you want to do the analysis from scratch.
Yes, thank you
I am going to interlibrary-loan it.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:55 pm
Profile E-mail

Hello Alan :), is that Statistical Yearbook accurate. Father Hardon seems to think that the Vatican will not reveal the exact figures or play around with them. I think if they really did reveal the figures, then it might cause even bigger scandal. That is also part of the reason why they instituted the permanent diaconate (which I completely disagree I agree with the Council of Trent and why it was good it did not introduce it again to the Church). You have to remember he is pretty brutally honest about stuff like that, he would not lie. Having himself been at Rome directly working under several Papacy's himself, he would have a good idea. Also his credibility as a man who lived a pretty holy life, even though if you grant to him that he was wrong. I don't think anyone can personally dispute the personal asceticism that he endured for so many years. I.e. my main point is that whatever the statistics is, you can exaggerate it a little more that would give you more exact estimates.

Quote:
"The Vatican, as I have said before, may not reveal the exact figures. It's close to one hundred thousand priests who have left the priesthood throughout the world in the past half-century. Nothing, nothing like it ever before!"
"[b]
Here is my source http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/Priesthood/Priesthood_007.htm.

Yes, can you please post the result of the current statistics here when you do have them? Thanks, I am sure other's would be curious about that.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:17 am
Profile E-mail

Jorge Armendariz wrote:
Hello Alan :), is that Statistical Yearbook accurate. Father Hardon seems to think that the Vatican will not reveal the exact figures or play around with them. I think if they really did reveal the figures, then it might cause even bigger scandal. That is also part of the reason why they instituted the permanent diaconate (which I completely disagree I agree with the Council of Trent and why it was good it did not introduce it again to the Church). You have to remember he is pretty brutally honest about stuff like that, he would not lie. Having himself been at Rome directly working under several Papacy's himself, he would have a good idea. Also his credibility as a man who lived a pretty holy life, even though if you grant to him that he was wrong. I don't think anyone can personally dispute the personal asceticism that he endured for so many years. I.e. my main point is that whatever the statistics is, you can exaggerate it a little more that would give you more exact estimates.

Quote:
"The Vatican, as I have said before, may not reveal the exact figures. It's close to one hundred thousand priests who have left the priesthood throughout the world in the past half-century. Nothing, nothing like it ever before!"
"[b]
Here is my source http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/Priesthood/Priesthood_007.htm.

Yes, can you please post the result of the current statistics here when you do have them? Thanks, I am sure other's would be curious about that.
Yes, I will once the book arrives.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:18 am
Profile E-mail

I found an article from the Latin Mass Magazine written by the author of the Index of Leading Catholic Indicators. It gives a little sampling of what his book is about.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:52 pm
Profile E-mail