It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:39 pm

The Synod - Gaming the Conservatives 
Site Admin

New post The Synod - Gaming the Conservatives
There is much talk about a potential schism in the Conciliar Church between men such as Cardinal Burke on the one side, and Bergoglio and his fellow liberals on the other. The Rorate Caeli people have discovered a way to express this notion without mentioning the dreaded "S" word - they write of "the great division." :)

There will be no notable schism, unless I am seriously mistaken. I will explain why. It has nothing to do with the possibility that Burke and Co. will succeed in moderating the ghastly Relatio that has everybody rightly outraged. The true picture, the true complex of causes, I think, will be quite different. The Rorate Caeli people may well celebrate when their feared schism does not eventuate, because the revolting Relatio ends up being toned down, but their celebration will be of a chimera. They will be celebrating the defeat of something that was never the real aim of the liberals.

The real aim of Bergoglio is to change doctrine by changing practices. He doesn't care about doctrinal texts, as such. The most odious elements of this present text are in that sense superfluous. Without them the text will still talk about "welcoming" people who openly reject Christ's law, and who abuse those who bring this to their attention. This main programmatic theme isn't going away, whatever anybody says, and will no doubt be seen as a much lesser evil than what apparently "could have been" had not the conservatives mobilised their forces. But actually it's the main theme, the main tactic, the thing that will emerge unaltered from the Synod. The conservatives just need a token victory over something even more outrageous to get them, reluctantly, on board.

Montini's chief effort during Vatican II was to produce a consensus (in favour of at least ambiguous texts). He succeeded spectacularly well at this. I don't know if anybody has written a dissertation on the specific subject of Montini's determination to achieve a consensus, and his success, but somebody should have. It's probably the second most important feature of the Council, after its (heretical) theology.

Bergoglio is like Montini, pragmatic and clever. This Relatio text is designed to outrage. It is meant to be a bridge too far. When two or three key passages are slightly modified or deleted, the result will still be disgusting, damaging to the faith, and a true abandonment of Catholic doctrine. But the "conservatives" will have had an apparent victory, and in their relief at what appeared to be a close-run thing, Burke and Co. will fall in and vote for evil. This psychology can be observed again and again in the history of Vatican II. Several times during the Council Montini himself intervened decisively on the conservative side. He did this to head off the likelihood of disaster (i.e. an open revolt, a schism). A blatantly heretical text would be proposed and would attract a large, even a majority, vote, but face an unbending refusal on the part of numerous conservatives. The danger was that something would break. Then the text would be modified, toned down, sometimes after a Montinian intervention. Montini always achieved his consensus, and the number of opposing votes in every case was reduced to a tiny sliver of a minority.

My reading of this Synod is that it’s following the same game-plan. Bergoglio is no fool. He’s doing what works. Burke and the Rorate Caeli people need to read some history, because they’re being gamed.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:52 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: The Synod - Gaming the Conservatives
I guess we will see once the synod is complete and the final documents approved. Based on the news I've heard over the past year or so, I am not so sure that anything will be "toned down" or "moderated". And there still will be no schism because these "conservatives" we keep hearing about have lost the faith. Even when they speak of doctrine, they do not speak of it as unchanging Truth but as something else that one cannot exactly put a finger on. They may not personally agree with the final document and so they will become mute on the subject about which they disagree--which seems to have been what happened at Vatican 2 as well. Note that Bergoglio appointed additional members of the synod to write the documents in the midst of the turmoil. Apparently, things weren't going as well for his ideas as he thought they would be.

I understand that this synod will prepare a final document but that, officially, nothing will change until a second synod next year. The problem is that, though nothing will "officially" change, the whole world will see that what they think is the Catholic Church has changed its teaching and this will be the real damage to the faith of millions.

I used to think that the "line in the sand" that even the Conciliar cult could not pass and still fool people who still held the faith as the issue of homosexuality. This is obviously not the case. Even as that disgusting cult embraces this evil few are coming to the conclusion that they are not Catholic and those who wish to hold the faith will continue to simply say that they will "resist" the new teaching, whatever that means.

I don't even think people would be convinced if Bergoglio started talking about the possibility of ordaining women.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:38 am
Site Admin

TKGS wrote:
I understand that this synod will prepare a final document but that, officially, nothing will change until a second synod next year. The problem is that, though nothing will "officially" change, the whole world will see that what they think is the Catholic Church has changed its teaching and this will be the real damage to the faith of millions.

Exactly.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:51 pm
Profile E-mail

Seems like good analysis to me. What John is describing is basic negotiation technique: you try for more than you think you can get so that even after you make a show of compromising a little, you still have at least what you wanted out of the deal, while the other side of the negotiating table feels like they've won a victory by forcing you to retract some of your demands. Whether or not this step (the "compromise") even happens will depend on how much life there is in the beleaguered "conservative" camp. If, as TKGS speculates, they don't even demand some retraction, then the rate of demolition can actually increase, and the awful green light becomes luminescent.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:42 pm
Profile E-mail

John Lane wrote:
TKGS wrote:

Exactly.

Yes, and isn't this akin to the effects of defending the papacy on the basis of his not having invoked ex cathedra infallibility?

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Mike Larson wrote:
John Lane wrote:
TKGS wrote:

Exactly.

Yes, and isn't this akin to the effects of defending the papacy on the basis of his not having invoked ex cathedra infallibility?

It's analogous to defending the Conciliar Church on the basis that its reforms are generally imposed tyrannically, not promulgated as matters of public law, so that in the technical sense they are not "official" but rather informal and not binding. So the New Mass was not imposed by law on anybody, but nearly the entire Church offers this false worship to God? No! The Catholic Church does not behave that way, cannot behave that way, and therefore that isn't the Church. It's something else.

On the papacy, the argument needs to be more specific. If you're hinting at the doctrine of infallibility, you'll find that the texts in the manuals will make it hard for you to make the case.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

A note on Francis's doctrinal agenda. I think it's commonly misunderstood.

Conservatives like to recall this:

"In June 2010, a month before Argentina legalized same-sex marriage, [then-Cardinal] Bergoglio wrote a letter to the Carmelite Nuns of the Archdiocese of Buenos Aires in which he stated that a marriage equality bill before the South American nation’s legislature was the work of the devil and that fight against gay marriage is 'a war of God.'"

So he was against "marriage equality" as presented to the Argentine parliament. I think he still is, based upon what I have read. He's in favour of something else - a kind of eighth (secular) sacrament, "civil unions" which are not marriage. This will meet the demands of the world, and avoid a particular doctrinal clash - that is, the definition of marriage. He's side-stepping that problem.

Quote:
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/03/05/pope-francis-church-could-support-civil-unions/?hpt=hp_t2

Francis reaffirmed the Catholic Church's opposition to gay marriage on Wednesday, but suggested in a newspaper interview that it could support some types of civil unions.

The Pope reiterated the church's longstanding teaching that "marriage is between a man and a woman." However, he said, "We have to look at different cases and evaluate them in their variety."

States, for instance, justify civil unions as a way to provide economic security to cohabitating couples, the Pope said in a wide-ranging interview published Wednesday in Corriere della Sera, an Italian daily. State-sanctioned unions are thus driven by the need to ensure rights like access to health care, Francis added.

A number of Catholic bishops have supported civil unions for same-sex couples as an alternative to marriage, including Pope Francis when he was Archbishop of Buenos Aires in 2010, according to reports in National Catholic Reporter and The New York Times.

There is plenty of very clear evidence for this distinction. So this is his doctrinal agenda, to be pursued chiefly by actions and significant gestures.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I'm keeping an eye on Rorate, and it's fascinating.

There's this, which is absolute nonsense beaten up out of virtually nothing in order to discredit Kasper, as if we need to invent anything in order to discredit him!

Quote:
Master Kasper likes only one kind of African: muzzled, submissive, and silent, and who knows his own place

The arrogance displayed by Walter Kasper in his interview granted to Edward Pentin (published today in Zenit) is so astounding that it is by itself a revelation that he is the great Master of the Synod. His words regarding the Bishops of Africa, in particular, are so offensive, unbelievably racist and xenophobic one can hardly understand how such a despicable man could claim to write anything on "mercy", when his words are filled with heresy and disdain for the great Bishops of Africa, who stand nearly alone in defense of Catholic doctrine (and for this reason are despised).

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/1 ... -pope.html

Actually, all that Kasper said is that the African bishops are against the liberal agenda on marriage, and that "[The African bishops] should not tell us too much what we have to do." Nothing xenophobic, racist, or even remarkable about this. He doesn't agree with them and he doesn't want them pushing their ideas on him. If he'd said it about the American bishops, or the Polish bishops, or some other national or continental group, nobody would suspect any element of race to be present. But "New Catholic" is in a bit of a state right now, I think. :)

And then there's this, which is quite good analysis, but from a conservative perspective rather proves too much, I think: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/1 ... ed-to.html

In sum, Mattei shows that the false principles informing the Synod are the same ones which underpinned the doctrine of Vatican II. This is obvious. But it's presented as though it were news. Guys, it's not news, it's not even old news, it's the fulfilment of prophecies made on the Council floor fifty years ago and highlighted by traditional Catholics ever since.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:22 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Maybe somebody else can explain what "New Catholic" sees in The Tablet's "editorialising additions" (i.e. The Tablet's report of Cardinal Pell's comments) which need to be edited out in order for Pell's actual views to be grasped? The point is further confused when "New Catholic" resorts to quoting The Tablet's paraphrases of Pell in order to give us "Pell without The Tablet"! And, of course, there are no other sources for Pell's words, so it's not as if there is any evidence that something was omitted. The whole exercise is just weird.

This is more evidence that "New Catholic" is in a spin.

Check out both items: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/1 ... s-who.html

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/1282/0/ ... ng-revised

As far as I can see, The Tablet has presented the issues clearly and objectively, and given Pell's words full context and force. The headline only adds to the impression of forcefulness ("Cardinal Pell says synod's 'relatio' document is tendentious and incomplete and is being revised.")

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:38 am
Profile E-mail

John Lane wrote:
Mike Larson wrote:
TKGS wrote:

It's analogous to defending the Conciliar Church on the basis that its reforms are generally imposed tyrannically, not promulgated as matters of public law, so that in the technical sense they are not "official" but rather informal and not binding. So the New Mass was not imposed by law on anybody, but nearly the entire Church offers this false worship to God? No! The Catholic Church does not behave that way, cannot behave that way, and therefore that isn't the Church. It's something else.

On the papacy, the argument needs to be more specific. If you're hinting at the doctrine of infallibility, you'll find that the texts in the manuals will make it hard for you to make the case.

My thought was this: when faced with the absurd actions and words of the post-conciliar claimants to the papacy, a lot of Catholics will resort to the explanation that the Pope is only infallible on his own when he speaks ex cathedra, the cheerful implication being that we need not worry about his everyday bizarre behavior since it has not been stamped "officially" with infallibility. The meanwhile problem, though, is that the entire world, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, thinks, based on the example of this one man, that the Catholic Church is changing its teachings to accommodate the times, causing, as TKGS points out, "real damage to the faith of millions."

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Mike Larson wrote:
My thought was this: when faced with the absurd actions and words of the post-conciliar claimants to the papacy, a lot of Catholics will resort to the explanation that the Pope is only infallible on his own when he speaks ex cathedra, the cheerful implication being that we need not worry about his everyday bizarre behavior since it has not been stamped "officially" with infallibility. The meanwhile problem, though, is that the entire world, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, thinks, based on the example of this one man, that the Catholic Church is changing its teachings to accommodate the times, causing, as TKGS points out, "real damage to the faith of millions."

I agree. The reason for the impossibility of this, I believe, is that the pope cannot be a heretic, and a heretic cannot be pope.

History supports this doctrine. Examining the relevant historical cases we see that in every case when a pope appeared to fall into heresy the reaction of the Church was immediate and vehement. In other words, it produced a crisis, not of faith, but of unity. A stand-off, if you like, between the orthodox and the apparently heretical pope. This is particularly clear in the cases of Liberius, Pascal II, and John XXII. The Honorius case is not of much interest precisely because his letters were private and never came to light during his reign, so there was no controversy over his orthodoxy while he lived and certainly no question of public heresy.

The most damaging factor in the Conciliar crisis has resulted precisely from the absence or weakness of this reaction. Instead of Paul VI being held to account, the faith was damaged. Dogmatic anti-sedevacantism only compounds this sin. The Archbishop always held open the question of whether the Conciliar Nopes were authentic. This question in itself radically stripped them of their power. A doubtful law does not bind. "The faith is not in question, YOU are, Mgsr. Montini." It's tragic that our most prominent sedevacantists have been so thoroughly ineffective at explaining the crisis. Instead of keeping this question alive and relevant, they have turned it into a particularly unpleasant spectator sport. This in turn has resulted in sedeplenists regarding even the most moderate sedevacantism as the third rail of traditionalist thought. Touch it and you're dead. And so the sorry spectacle continues and worsens.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:19 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

The latest news from the Synod can be summed up by noting the following excerpt from the "report" of Cardinal Burke (Circulus Anglicus "A").

Quote:
For example, where the Relatio appeared to be suggesting that sex outside of marriage may be permissible, or that cohabitation may be permissible, we have attempted to show why such lifestyles do not lead to human fulfillment. At the same time, we want to acknowledge that there are seeds of truth and goodness found in the persons involved, and through dedicated pastoral care these can be appreciated and developed. We believe that if we imply that certain life-styles are acceptable, then concerned and worried parents could very easily say "Why are we trying so hard to encourage our sons and daughters to live the Gospel and embrace Church teaching?"

We did not recommend the admission to the sacraments of divorced and re-married people, but we included a very positive and much –needed appreciation of union with Christ through other means.

If this is orthodoxy, then orthodoxy is pure naturalism. Any talk about the Light of Christ in conjunction with this kind of wickedness is the merest window-dressing. One wonders how anybody could become so confused as to imagine that this is any kind of Catholic reaction to the filth of the Relatio. But there they are at Rorate, trumpeting it.

Let's take it apart.

First sentence. The answer to heresy, to error in theology, is to state the truth and, if not already obvious, to explain the contradiction. Instead, Burke and Co. reply with an argument consisting of pure naturalism - viz. "such lifestyles do not lead to human fulfillment." How about, sin leads to unhappiness in this life and hell in eternity? No? Do you not believe that, or are you so pathetic as to think you couldn't get away with saying it? Either way, let's not hear conservatives ask "whatever happened to the concept of sin?" when attacking the Relatio, as they have done so far, if they are not also going to ask Burke and Co. the same question.

Second sentence. This buys into the completely false approach of the Modernists. The issue is not the essential goodness of man's nature - that is a straw man; the issue is disorder, which is what evil is, and which wrecks lives and consigns souls to hell. What sinners need is to have the sinfulness of our sin clarified if need be, and then we need to repent and begin the process of reparation, aided by the grace of the sacraments. This is not a process of drawing out the intrinsic goodness of man, but rather more properly it is the process of replacing lost goods in damaged man, and of course elevating damaged man to a greater height, with infinitely greater privileges, than he had before the Fall. The Church does this with supernatural means - divinely revealed truth, and divinely instituted channels of grace. What's wrong with pointing this out? Is it not inspiring? Does it not leave one in wonderment at the goodness of God?

Third sentence. More pure naturalism, crawling along on all fours.

Fourth sentence. Implied heresy, as if one can achieve union with Christ by openly rejecting His law and refusing to access His sacraments! It's certainly true that somebody continuing to say the Rosary daily, for example, despite living in sin and never darkening a church door, may finally receive light and grace sufficient to repair their life and ultimately be saved. All priests will have seen examples of this kind of thing. But are such persons able to achieve "union with Christ through other [i.e. non-sacramental] means"? NO! The actual graces they receive in answer to prayer will be precisely the graces to get them to confession and to reform their lives.

Over-all comment. You want to be pastoral? How about pointing out that man, being lost and confused about the things that are most vital to his own happiness, God in His infinite goodness has condescended to give us clear instruction, which given the consequences of error on these matters (e.g. misery and chaos here, unending hellfire later), is the greatest possible blessing. We are therefore grateful for being handed, without any prior merit, the truth, the way things really are, and the clearest possible information on what we need to do to be happy here and in eternity, along with the infallible aids to act in accordance with this truth. These are great and really inexpressible causes of joy for Christians. Anything which darkens the truths of Revelation or calls them into question threatens the present and eternal welfare and happiness of man, and must be avoided at all costs.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:00 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

TKGS, Mike, this article expresses precisely the point you have emphasised: http://www.nationalreview.com/node/390554/print

Quote:
This is high drama with the highest of stakes, calling into question whether or not the pope himself believes what the Catholic Church has taught for 2,000 years, based on the words of Jesus Christ: a sacramental marriage between baptized Christians cannot be dissolved by any power on earth. And through this public debate, the most anti-clerical of all recent popes is permitting others to call into question (using his own name) the settled Church teaching not only on two sacraments, the Eucharist and Marriage, but ultimately on papal authority. The pope cannot teach that divorce is impossible and possible at the same time. If divorced and remarried Catholics (who are committing either adultery or polygamy depending on your point of view in the Catholic tradition) can in good conscience take the Eucharist, then either Pope Francis is wrong, or the popes before him were all wrong. Either way the idea that we can look with confidence to the Holy Father to guide our lives is exploded.

It’s likely that the pope will not pronounce any change in practice “ex cathedra,” so the doctrine of papal infallibility that attaches to those rare statements will not be formally in question. But the ordinary faith that Catholics are supposed to have and that they once had in the words of the pope will have become impossible. I cannot stake my life on the words of Cardinal Kasper and John Paul II at the same time. If Pope Francis makes Cardinal Kasper’s views his own, I will have to disbelieve one or the other of our Holy Fathers. A schism will have been introduced into the fabric of the Catholic faith at the very heart of what is distinctively Catholic.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:05 pm
Profile E-mail

John I could not agree more, you especially see the special stroke of Maestro that Montini had done when he put the footnote in Vatican II particularly Lumen Gentium and some others. Where it was added after the fact, that infallibility and "pastoral" nature of the Council was not dogmatic etc...

You also see this with respect to the heretical original Novus Ordo implementation, after that Card. Ottaviani and Bacci, after their complaint they added a few extra Tridentine like words to make it be just barely passing the litmus test of minimal Catholicity.

I really highly recommend, I think Alan posted it on the text and some other post's. But read sermon 14 of the Academic sermons of St. Thomas Aquinas http://sedevacantist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1709 , it outlines the tactics of heretics with respect to their Modus operandi. It explains how to be able to detect false teachers/false prophets and wow after reading that there was no doubt in my mind that these men are to be anathematized by anyone who has any real faith in Our Lord.

Thomism, that is the acceptance of the theological method of St. Thomas which is the best application of Scholasticism, the real place that reason has in a person of faith. Is the best way in which to arrive to truth, it protects and vaccinates the mind against the errors of the modern world. I especially desire this for anyone who is currently in University! There are so many anti-Catholic's in the Universities its crazy...

Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:17 am
Profile E-mail

TKGS wrote:
I guess we will see once the synod is complete and the final documents approved. Based on the news I've heard over the past year or so, I am not so sure that anything will be "toned down" or "moderated". And there still will be no schism because these "conservatives" we keep hearing about have lost the faith. Even when they speak of doctrine, they do not speak of it as unchanging Truth but as something else that one cannot exactly put a finger on. They may not personally agree with the final document and so they will become mute on the subject about which they disagree--which seems to have been what happened at Vatican 2 as well. Note that Bergoglio appointed additional members of the synod to write the documents in the midst of the turmoil. Apparently, things weren't going as well for his ideas as he thought they would be.

I used to think that the "line in the sand" that even the Conciliar cult could not pass and still fool people who still held the faith as the issue of homosexuality. This is obviously not the case. Even as that disgusting cult embraces this evil few are coming to the conclusion that they are not Catholic and those who wish to hold the faith will continue to simply say that they will "resist" the new teaching, whatever that means.

I don't even think people would be convinced if Bergoglio started talking about the possibility of ordaining women.

Well I think its important to note, that the conservatives of the SSPX flavor or mentality will simply reject that Synod. If they are able to accept Vatican II as licit, in any way shape or form as having some sort of non-binding Ecumenical Council with pretty much all the world's Bishop's included. Then at that point what is a little Synod like this going to compare?

You have to understand that as a matter of principle, they could care less. Rightfully so, that is the correct attitude to have GIVEN the circumstances, for this is the only way in which they can keep the gift of faith. Imagine having a true Ecclesial understanding of what the faithful are supposed to do with respect to lawful licit magisterial teaching? If they had a Catholic attitude towards these apostates, then they would self-excommunicate because it would require to accept heresy.

It really is a catch 22, and now the line is being drawn. You are either Catholic or Conciliar, if you participate in any intellectual way in the belief/practice of the Conciliar Church it will lead you to loss of faith. Modernism immediately leads to a loss of faith, but as has been pointed out not all Modernist are non-Catholics. The reason why they are not, is that most people tend to be REALLY illogical and it is this super illogicality that preserves them from accepting the final end of modernism, a loss of faith and a naturalist religion. Just because somehow someone did preserve the faith, we must nevertheless stay away from such individuals. Treat them like any other acquaintance or strangers you meet, but never let them become your intimate friends.

Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:27 am
Profile E-mail

Jorge Armendariz wrote:

I really highly recommend, I think Alan posted it on the text and some other post's. But read sermon 14 of the Academic sermons of St. Thomas Aquinas http://sedevacantist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1709 , it outlines the tactics of heretics with respect to their Modus operandi. It explains how to be able to detect false teachers/false prophets and wow after reading that there was no doubt in my mind that these men are to be anathematized by anyone who has any real faith in Our Lord.

Thank you for noting this sermon by St Thomas, and thank you for Alan for posting it in the texts section! It really is a wonderful and very timely read. Every Catholic should take a half an hour or so and read through it. Just a taste :)

[47] Again, hypocrites make a display of their meekness, but when they have the opportunity of persecuting, then they do their utmost to persecute, hence Gregory says: "If any trial of faith occurs, immediately the wolf ravenous at heart strips himself of his sheep's skin; and shows by persecuting how great his anger is against the good".

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Luke L wrote:
Jorge Armendariz wrote:

Thank you for noting this sermon by St Thomas, and thank you for Alan for posting it in the texts section! It really is a wonderful and very timely read. Every Catholic should take a half an hour or so and read through it. Just a taste :)

[47] Again, hypocrites make a display of their meekness, but when they have the opportunity of persecuting, then they do their utmost to persecute, hence Gregory says: "If any trial of faith occurs, immediately the wolf ravenous at heart strips himself of his sheep's skin; and shows by persecuting how great his anger is against the good".

I have been re-reading that sermon so many times, its almost like a bed-time story for me now. It lulls me to sleep and puts my mind back towards sanity, and against insanity! St. Thomas is so clear... If only more people would think like he does, I think there would be little that traditionalist would disagree on.

We might have debates as to why banana flavored ice cream, is indeed better then pistachio flavored.

It is music to my ears, when I read "On the contrary..." Difficult to describe what sort of butterflies I get when I read St. Thomas.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:59 am
Profile E-mail