It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:29 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Australian politician says something good 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 4334
New post Australian politician says something good
Malcolm Turnbull is a bit of a lefty, but today he spoke well. Americans may not quite appreciate the significance of this, as their politicians will often mention God and even the Holy Name of Jesus, but our politicians studiously avoid the Holy Name, lest they be dismissed as religious bigots. Turnbull is a convert.

Quote:
Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has made an impassioned plea for Australians not to be "corrupted by hatred" following the Lindt cafe siege.

An emotional Mr Turnbull was speaking after a memorial service held at Sydney's St Mary's Cathedral on Tuesday afternoon to pay tribute to the siege victims.

Lindt cafe manager Tori Johnson and barrister Katrina Dawson died after being held hostage for most of Monday in the Lindt Cafe in Martin Place. The gunman, Man Haron Monis, also died.

"I was on a train this morning, and you could feel the numbness in the carriage," Mr Turnbull said.

"Everyone was thinking the same thoughts: shock, horror, imagining how those people suffered during that terrible night.

"Thinking about the courage of the two young people that were killed.

"And yet I feel that everyone was also filled with love. There were something of determination on that train; a determined love; a recognition that it's love for each other, it's love for our country which binds us together and makes us the most successful, harmonious society in the world.

"I felt that there was, as the train rattled across the Harbour Bridge, I felt that there was a quiet determination that we weren't going to be intimidated by such hatred."

Tuesday's memorial service was led by the new Catholic Archbishop of Sydney, Anthony Fisher, and attended by NSW Premier Mike Baird and Governor-General Peter Cosgrove.

"I thought today's service was so beautiful," Mr Turnbull continued.

"Because it was all about love. It was about that love, that love of God ... the loving example of Jesus that should inspire us all not to be corrupted by hatred and violence, and to remain united as Australians, now and forever."

_________________
In Christ our King.


Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:14 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 4334
New post Re: Australian politician says something good
This will give an insight into this interesting man: http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2007/s2645849.htm

_________________
In Christ our King.


Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:24 am
Profile E-mail

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:27 pm
Posts: 80
New post Re: Australian politician says something good
He's a brilliant man to be sure. But knowing how wrong he is on almost any moral question you could imagine, I find it very hard not to take his remarks about Our Lord and love as anything but a merely worldly sentiment. I hope I'm wrong. Incidentally, as you would have read towards the end of the ABC transcript, he's intensely relaxed about his rejection of Church teaching- not quite a convert in the Faber mold.
Tony I can't quite work out. In my indult days I came across him at a solemn High Mass celebrated by Burke; it was striking that he had given up a couple of hours to attend. And he did try hard as health minister as I recall.
You might be interested to know that Gillard's former chief speech writer is a serious and traditional Catholic; he often gets gigs on ABC news shows like "The Drum" as he currently runs the Chifley Institute. We are to be found in the most unlikely places!


Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:03 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 4334
New post Re: Australian politician says something good
Dear James,

I think he's a man who typifies the post-V2 situation - he's had no instruction at all. He's a highly intelligent man and he needed to be handled by a solid Jesuit or Dominican, who could have dealt with his prejudices and brought him to the truth. Instead, he's held onto his prejudices, but in my assessment, not out of bad faith. He asked Pell (I think that's whom he means) and got told that everybody disagrees with the Church, so what's he to think?

Look at this for absolute tragedy:
Quote:
"I enjoy very much the Greek tradition, for example. Their liturgy has a greater sense of mystery than the very open tradition of the way in which the Eucharist is celebrated in the modern Catholic Church."


I mean, he'd be a trad if he knew anything at all!

Tony knows more, and therefore he's a greater disappointment. Immeasurably so!

The thing about Turnbull is he is a real human being, with a genuine heart. His father was a good egg - read the interview for just how generous a spirit his father had! I'd like to meet Malcolm and see if he can be brought to a better mind on some things. Maybe one day. Anyway, he actually witnessed to Our Lord in public when he didn't need to do so. That's more than Tony or anybody elese will do, and no doubt it counts for a great deal in the divine economy. "Many sins are forgiven her, because she hath loved much."

_________________
In Christ our King.


Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:06 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 4334
New post Re: Australian politician says something good
James Francis wrote:
You might be interested to know that Gillard's former chief speech writer is a serious and traditional Catholic; he often gets gigs on ABC news shows like "The Drum" as he currently runs the Chifley Institute. We are to be found in the most unlikely places!


Michael Cooney? Really? Well, do a google search and see how he hides his religion!

_________________
In Christ our King.


Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:10 am
Profile E-mail

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:57 am
Posts: 391
Location: Indiana, USA
New post Re: Australian politician says something good
Quote:
Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has made an impassioned plea for Australians not to be "corrupted by hatred" following the Lindt cafe siege.


This sounds a lot like what we hear in the U.S. whenever a Muslim is involved in some sort of incident that the general public recognizes as a terrorist incident but which officials usually studiously claim had no connection with terrorism. We are scolded that we must not "hate Muslims" then political figures, psychologists, "mental health experts", social workers, pundits throughout the society, and even an assortment of "religious figures" openly decry that a "backlash" against Muslims is imminent and that we must not allow the terrorists (who they denied were terrorists) to win.

The victims who were killed and maimed are thought about until the sun sets. The next day we are told about the "real" victims: The Muslim Community who are bracing for the backlash from ordinary citizens that never comes.

_________________
Daniel Peck, Indiana, United States


Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:48 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:27 pm
Posts: 80
New post Re: Australian politician says something good
I'm not sure what you typed into google John, but I found plenty of stuff badmouthing Coons as a 'Catholic extremist'.

Then there's this:
http://australiaincognita.blogspot.com. ... idate.html

Coons is a top bloke, who walks the tightrope of being a Catholic whilst being an ALP apparatchik. He's on the side of the angels and could probably do with prayers.


Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:17 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 4334
New post Re: Australian politician says something good
Thanks James. What I typed was "Michael Cooney" and then got too many overseas results, and thought I'd try "Michael Cooney catholic" and still got nothing relevant, so then I tried "Michael Cooney catholic chifley" and Google stripped off the term "catholic" from the first couple of results, indicating that the man's religion is not associated with his public profile.

I'm glad to hear he's a good chap. It's sad he's so caught up in Labor politics! But it's also very interesting - especially given the reality that the Labor Party is so far gone these days that the old DLP type people have migrated into the Liberal Party (including Abbott). It makes one wonder how many more of them there are - and if they have any idea about Catholic social doctrine, or if they are merely anti-abortion socialists.

(Btw, I'll be in Canberra and then Sydney from Jan. 1st until the 21st. If you're going to be north of the border, drop me an email and we can catch up.)

_________________
In Christ our King.


Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:42 am
Profile E-mail

Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:14 pm
Posts: 210
New post Re: Australian politician says something good
John Lane wrote:
Malcolm Turnbull is a bit of a lefty, but today he spoke well. Americans may not quite appreciate the significance of this, as their politicians will often mention God and even the Holy Name of Jesus, but our politicians studiously avoid the Holy Name, lest they be dismissed as religious bigots. Turnbull is a convert.

Quote:
Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has made an impassioned plea for Australians not to be "corrupted by hatred" following the Lindt cafe siege.

An emotional Mr Turnbull was speaking after a memorial service held at Sydney's St Mary's Cathedral on Tuesday afternoon to pay tribute to the siege victims.

Lindt cafe manager Tori Johnson and barrister Katrina Dawson died after being held hostage for most of Monday in the Lindt Cafe in Martin Place. The gunman, Man Haron Monis, also died.

"I was on a train this morning, and you could feel the numbness in the carriage," Mr Turnbull said.

"Everyone was thinking the same thoughts: shock, horror, imagining how those people suffered during that terrible night.

"Thinking about the courage of the two young people that were killed.

"And yet I feel that everyone was also filled with love. There were something of determination on that train; a determined love; a recognition that it's love for each other, it's love for our country which binds us together and makes us the most successful, harmonious society in the world.

"I felt that there was, as the train rattled across the Harbour Bridge, I felt that there was a quiet determination that we weren't going to be intimidated by such hatred."

Tuesday's memorial service was led by the new Catholic Archbishop of Sydney, Anthony Fisher, and attended by NSW Premier Mike Baird and Governor-General Peter Cosgrove.

"I thought today's service was so beautiful," Mr Turnbull continued.

"Because it was all about love. It was about that love, that love of God ... the loving example of Jesus that should inspire us all not to be corrupted by hatred and violence, and to remain united as Australians, now and forever."


And God Bless America! You know John, they never mention explicitly the Holy name over here, just in very few circumstances. Plus even when they do, its like a private audience or they are in Church (which is what you would expect) and never in any public function. The ones who come to mind is Governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin and a few others. You know Richard Dawkins and other famous atheists mention how its incredible that every single member of Congress and the Senate is a believer in some god. It is absurd of course, because they are only pretending to be "Christian" in order to get elected, because it is a bit of political suicide to get elected without having some sort of root to Christianity.

I think more recently there might be a few candidates who are publicly atheist or agnostics that have been elected (can't recall exactly). As far as I am concerned, I bunch both of them together, but others might have a more stricter definition of what an atheist/naturalist/nihilist/humanist etc... If you do bunch them together it is about 20% of the population so they are definitely a force to reckon with, in Europe it would be a much higher number. The USA is one of the few modern Western countries that has not had a serious decline in religiosity of some sort.

The Holy name is truly powerful, even heretics are able to do miracles in His name, it will of course not be salvific in any way to them, but it is interesting.

_________________
Laudare, Benedicere et predicare...
Bitcoin donations: 15aKZ5oPzRWVubqgSceK6DifzwtzJ6MRpv


Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:33 am
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.