It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:16 pm

A happy and blessed Christmas to all! 
Site Admin

New post A happy and blessed Christmas to all!
Wishing you all a very happy and blessed Christmas Day!

St. Bernard:

JESUS CHRIST, the Son of God, is born in Bethlehem of Juda.

What heart so stony as not to be softened at these words? What soul is not melted at this voice of her Beloved? What announcement could be sweeter? What intelligence more enrapturing? Was its like ever heard before? Or when did the world ever receive such tidings ?

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is born in Bethlehem of Juda.

O short word, telling of the Eternal Word abbreviated for us! O word full of heavenly delights! The heart is oppressed by its mellifluous sweetness, and longs to pour forth its redundant riches, but words refuse their service. So overpowering is the music of this short speech that it loses melody if one iota is changed.

O Nativity of spotless sanctity! O birth honourable for the world, birth pleasing and welcome to men, because of the magnificence of the benefit it bestows; birth incomprehensible to the angels, by reason of the depth and sacredness of the mystery! In all its circumstances it is wonderful because of its singular excellence and novelty. Its precedent has not been known, nor has its like ever followed. O birth alone without sorrow, alone without shame, free from corruption, not unlocking, but consecrating the temple of the Virgin's womb! Nativity above nature, yet for the sake of nature! Surpassing it by the excellence of the miracle, repairing it by the virtue of the mystery! Who shall declare this generation? The angel announces it. Almighty Power overshadows it. The Spirit of the Most High comes upon it. The Virgin believes. By faith she conceives. The Virgin brings forth. The Virgin remains a virgin. Who is not filled with astonishment? The Son of the Most High is born. The Son, begotten of God before all ages, is Incarnate! The Word is become an Infant! Who can sufficiently admire?

And it is not a needless Nativity, a superfluous condescension of Infinite Majesty.

Awake, you who lie in the dust awake and give praise. Behold, the Lord cometh with salvation. He comes with salvation, He comes with unction, He comes with glory. Jesus cannot come without salvation, Christ cannot come without unction, nor the Son of God without glory. For He Himself is salvation, He is unction, He is glory, as it is written, "A wise son is the glory of his father."

The remainder is here: https://archive.org/stream/sermonsofstb ... 4/mode/2up

Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:06 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: A happy and blessed Christmas to all!
Thank you very much John!

Blessed Christmas to you, your family and all the members here!

Leon Bloy

Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:32 pm
Profile E-mail

Thanks John and thanks for this forum! I haven't posted much, but I love reading and learning from the many informative articles. Maybe in the New Year I'll pluck up the courage to post some questions myself, in the meantime I wish everyone here a very Blessed Christmas!

Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:28 am
Profile E-mail

Merry Christmas to you and your family, John, and to the members on this forum. I am very grateful for these forums and the invaluable contributions from you and others here.

Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:52 pm

Merry and Blessed Christmas to all! Thank you for the all you do and the portion of your valuable time and energy you pour into these forums for us. I have learned so much over the last several years from these threads!

Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:45 pm
Profile E-mail