It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:42 am

Leonine Prayers after Mass 

New post Leonine Prayers after Mass
Does anyone have the actual document where Pope Leo XIII instituted the prayers after Mass? Is it true that he insisted that these prayers be said in the vernacular in order to encourage active participation of the laity?

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:11 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Leonine Prayers after Mass
Anyone?

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:23 am
Profile E-mail

What I found in an internet search is that the prayers were decreed on 6 January 1884 in the document Iam inde ab anno of the Sacred Congregation of Rights and can be found in the Acta Sanctae Sedis 16 (1884) beginning on page 239 of the linked pdf file:
http://documentacatholicaomnia.eu/04z/z ... T.pdf.html

Here is the Google Translation:

DECREE
In which we are commanded to be a recitation of some prayers at the end of each Mass, celebrated without singing, in all the churches of the city and the world Catholic.

CITY AND THE WORLD

From the moment of the year 1859 sa. Me. Pius. 9, in order to obtain the aid of God, which the tough times and the rough flagitabaut, commanding them to harried the papal possessions in all the temples, which were sacred to a certain price. Adtunxerat indulgences, spent the Holy Sacrifice, recital. Now, indeed, the evil I do not really have their seat within the remote for serious suspicion of worse still, when the church is catholic so greatly in need of a special protection of God, His Holiness Pope Leo 13 has judged suitable for the Lord, the prayers of those arts which have been paid out some of the parts of the whole world has changed, so that what is expedient for the common good of the Christian community, that the common prayer to contend that the Christian people by God, the mercy of God were made easier to achieve the desired result is incredible the number of supplicate. He sent word to His Holiness, through the present, therefore, the Decree of the Congregation of Sacred Rites, =, so that in the future, in all the churches of the City at the prayers of the Catholic world, as well as written below, for three hundred days' indulgence locupletatae, at the end of each Mass is celebrated without singing, he knelt down and recited, to wit:

U Thrice Hail Mary, etc.
After that, it is said, once the Hail, Holy Queen, etc. and in the end I
>. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God,
R). To be worthy of the promises of Christ.

PRAY
God, our refuge and our strength, to hear the devout prayers of thy Church, and grant; that by the intercession of the glorious and immaculate Virgin Mary, Mother of God, to Saint Joseph, of Thy holy apostles Peter and Paul and all the Saints, we ask humbly that the needs of all in the present, may obtain effectually. Through Christ, our Lord.
R). Amen.

Contrary notwithstanding. Epiphany on January 6 WDCCCLXXXIV.
Cardinal BARTOLIXIUS C. S. R. OFFICER
1 1. S.
Saldare St. Lawrence M. C. Secretary *

Note that the Prayer to St. Michael is not included in this decree. The only reference to this addition I could find indicates that it was added two years later and is from the Irish Ecclesiastical Review which can be found at:
https://archive.org/stream/s3p2irishecc ... earch/1050

Nothing in the decree or in the IER article says anything about saying the prayers in the vernacular. In fact, the IER article prints the prayers after Mass in Latin.

I have also found several English-language websites that specifically indicate that the prayers may be said in Latin or English.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:00 pm

If it can be said in Latin and if Leo did not say he "felt saying in the vernacular would help foster the active participation of the laity" then my friend was wrong. And he was wrong to say it would be disobedient to pray it in Latin.

Here is something I just found and I was going to ask if anyone could translate that. :lol: Seriously :D

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ass/docum ... 96-ocr.pdf

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:00 pm
Profile E-mail

TKGS wrote:
What I found in an internet search is that the prayers were decreed on 6 January 1884 in the document Iam inde ab anno of the Sacred Congregation of Rights and can be found in the Acta Sanctae Sedis 16 (1884) beginning on page 239 of the linked pdf file:

BTW - can I get access to the link that translates Latin?

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:03 pm
Profile E-mail

TKGS wrote:

DECREE
In which we are commanded to be a recitation of some prayers at the end of each Mass, celebrated without singing, in all the churches of the city and the world Catholic.

CITY AND THE WORLD

From the moment of the year 1859 sa. Me. Pius. 9, in order to obtain the aid of God, which the tough times and the rough flagitabaut, commanding them to harried the papal possessions in all the temples, which were sacred to a certain price. Adtunxerat indulgences, spent the Holy Sacrifice, recital. Now, indeed, the evil I do not really have their seat within the remote for serious suspicion of worse still, when the church is catholic so greatly in need of a special protection of God, His Holiness Pope Leo 13 has judged suitable for the Lord, the prayers of those arts which have been paid out some of the parts of the whole world has changed, so that what is expedient for the common good of the Christian community, that the common prayer to contend that the Christian people by God, the mercy of God were made easier to achieve the desired result is incredible the number of supplicate. He sent word to His Holiness, through the present, therefore, the Decree of the Congregation of Sacred Rites, =, so that in the future, in all the churches of the City at the prayers of the Catholic world, as well as written below, for three hundred days' indulgence locupletatae, at the end of each Mass is celebrated without singing, he knelt down and recited, to wit:

U Thrice Hail Mary, etc.
After that, it is said, once the Hail, Holy Queen, etc. and in the end I
>. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God,
R). To be worthy of the promises of Christ.

PRAY
God, our refuge and our strength, to hear the devout prayers of thy Church, and grant; that by the intercession of the glorious and immaculate Virgin Mary, Mother of God, to Saint Joseph, of Thy holy apostles Peter and Paul and all the Saints, we ask humbly that the needs of all in the present, may obtain effectually. Through Christ, our Lord.
R). Amen.

Contrary notwithstanding. Epiphany on January 6 WDCCCLXXXIV.
Cardinal BARTOLIXIUS C. S. R. OFFICER
1 1. S.
Saldare St. Lawrence M. C. Secretary *

Note that the Prayer to St. Michael is not included in this decree. The only reference to this addition I could find indicates that it was added two years later and is from the Irish Ecclesiastical Review which can be found at:
https://archive.org/stream/s3p2irishecc ... earch/1050

Nothing in the decree or in the IER article says anything about saying the prayers in the vernacular. In fact, the IER article prints the prayers after Mass in Latin.

I have also found several English-language websites that specifically indicate that the prayers may be said in Latin or English.

Can you share the several English websites?

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Mario Looch wrote:
BTW - can I get access to the link that translates Latin?

I copied and pasted parts of the document into Google Translate then copied the translated sections to a document which I later copied and pasted into my reply. So I don't have a link.

Mario Looch wrote:
Can you share the several English websites?

Again, I found them as I was looking for the original document and didn't save the links. Most seemed to be websites of various chapels in the English-speaking world. I have no idea if they are legitimate sources or not. On the other hand, the link to the Irish Ecclesiastical Review appears to be a legitimate source and the fact that it presents the prayers in Latin lead me to be believe that this was the practice at the time in Ireland. The IER also notes that the bishops will establish guidelines, so, perhaps, the custom differed throughout the world. I do know that people I know who remembered the traditional Mass from prior to the changes have universally told me (in the U.S.) that they always remembered the prayers said in English.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Quote:
Again, I found them as I was looking for the original document and didn't save the links. Most seemed to be websites of various chapels in the English-speaking world. I have no idea if they are legitimate sources or not. On the other hand, the link to the Irish Ecclesiastical Review appears to be a legitimate source and the fact that it presents the prayers in Latin lead me to be believe that this was the practice at the time in Ireland. The IER also notes that the bishops will establish guidelines, so, perhaps, the custom differed throughout the world. I do know that people I know who remembered the traditional Mass from prior to the changes have universally told me (in the U.S.) that they always remembered the prayers said in English.

Thank you very much. You have been most helpful.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:53 pm
Profile E-mail